Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2019, 08:11 AM   #1

Unable to solve brake pulling problem E250 EB

Hey guys!
I've been (as well as 3 different shops) attempting to solve this pulling to the right issue with my 2002 Ford E250 EB Sportsmobile. Three years ago on the way from the Bay Area to the Mojave it was pulling terribly to the right (ref: I think it might have always done it from the day I got it, used with 48,000 miles). I took it to a good shop in Livermore, CA since they had just (two months ago) turned the front rotors and put new pads on. They replaced the calipers, pads, and the flexible hoses and bled it a few more times. It was better but not completely gone. I've moved to AZ and I'm using it more now and it seems to be worse some days than others and I've replaced the rear calipers, pads, flexible hoses, front calipers, rotors - with bearings, pads, flexible hoses, master cylinder AND the ABS controller. It's still pulling, especially when stopping quickly, same as it always has. I've bled this thing a ton of times (as has the shops) and I've swapped the pads on the front from left to right, but no impact. To troubleshoot more I put a vice grip on the main rear flexible hose that goes to both the left and rear, to isolate the rears, but this caused the left front the go into ABS pulsating when braking hard and it still pulled to the right. Then I pulled the ABS fuse..........and it brakes straight with a very slight pull to the right. Oh, I've also had it aligned about 6 different times.
I'm not certain what to do now since I did replace the ABS controller (with used since they don't sell them new any longer). Any ideas?

dirtbikenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:21 AM   #2

I was having the same problem on our 2008 Quigley 4x4. We did most of the same things you did, including pads, rotors, and calipers on both front wheels. We also replaced the guts of the locking hubs. Can't say for sure what fixed it, but it's been pretty good since then. $1,200 or so, but we were in CA on vacation
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:02 AM   #3

Did they do a full alignment? Or only toe?

If the caster is extremely different from side to side, this can happen.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:38 PM   #4

It sounds like you replaced all the likely culprits, not once, but twice! You done a lot of testing too, I'm not sure where to point you too. You might ask around onthe powerstroke forum to see if there's a failure mode with the truck ABS modules that acts like that.

Your story resonates with me, we were leaving for a trip also to Mojave, then on to Arizona a couple months ago. 10 miles from home, my van started pulling right, foot off the brake. Under braking, it would pull left. I diagnosed it as having a sticky RF caliper, that was not retracting, and under pressure resisting clamping. I've seen ridges form in the caliper piston bores, and corroded guide rods cause this sort of symptom. Typically when I've had this happen in the past, the caliper doesn't fully retract the pads, they drag and get hot, then the hot bads arean't being as effective as the left side under braking, so it pulls left. My van had been sitting unused for a couple months, I figured either was the cause. I pulled over, exercised the calipers (maybe exorcised the demons?) by pumping the brakes several times, it was fine the rest of the trip. The RF rotor is a little warped now, the peddle pulsates. I'll pull it apart in the next few weeks to see what's going on.

On a side note, was the Livermore Shop Left Coast Diesel by chance?

I hope you track it down and fix it once and for all.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:27 PM   #5

Have you checked any of the hard lines for crimps or kinks? If a hard brake line is collapsed enough, you can push fluid through it but it won't bleed back and release pressure (as fast as a unobstructed line).
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:30 PM   #6

@carringb Yes, the caster has been checked and adjusted.
@TomsBeast No, it was Ken's Tires
@mgmetalworks I haven't done that and I'm thinking I need to do that but that's more work than I want to do, but I guess I'll need push ahead.

NEWS: I took it on a long drive out Hwy 17 and w/o the ABS fuse it started to pull the right again. So, after driving 30 miles, then letting it sit for a couple of hours, I plugged in the ABS fuse and drive it back home and it's not pulling. It seems like there is still air in the system then? I'm at a loss ......
Old 02-15-2019, 05:46 PM   #7

An ABS service bleed has been done? Do it again. :-)
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:21 PM   #8

Have you ever rotated the tires just for grins?
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 04:56 AM   #9
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
I'm curious if after all these parts replacements were the caliper pins properly lubricated?

I will add all three of my E-Series without ABS triggered (totally dry asphalt paved road) tend to have the right side rear end swing out during hard braking, requiring a bit of counter steering. They simply won't stop in a straight line but in no danger from sliding out of control, just that momentary "panic" wondering WTH is going on?

My brakes are all in proper working order---I think this condition is just part of the normal 2 wheel drive suspension and braking system.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 08:30 AM   #10

@mgmetalworks I've looked for a procedure for the proper way to bleed the ABS system but I haven't found one. Do you have a link that I could check out?
@arctictraveller yes, rotated the tires .