Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2014, 12:07 PM   #21

Re: Useless Parking Brake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
I replaced the rear rotors a while back during normal brake maintenance. I adjusted parking brake at that time and it worked a little better but not much.
Did you measure them to adjust them? I've always adjusted parking brake shoes by drag on the drum/rotor but I am told the measurement on these is the way to go.
No, I did not measure. Not only had I not heard of that procedure, I'm not sure what it accomplishes if I'm totally honest.

I simply adjusted the shoes out until the rotor was tight to get on and without too much drag -- all by feel. When both wheels were adjusted the pedal felt about right. Not tight at top and won't bottom out. Even so I could set the brake and it wouldn't hold on driveway slope with engine idling and in gear. My minivan holds under same conditions and I expect at least that much.
That's exactly how I've adjusted shoes in the past, but the shop manual outlines a different procedure, and I've heard from a couple of mechanics that on these it is the way to go. Not sure if true or not.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:43 PM   #22

Re: Useless Parking Brake

I have one last question about the drive line brake.

How is it controlled?

Integrated with the existing parking brake and peddle?
Replaces the existing parking brake?
Operates separately with a second control?

Thanks for all the input on this.

I'm just going to get mine serviced up to spec and go from there.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:04 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viejo View Post
The parking brake on my van just won't hold, never has. Even after an adjustment it will not hold on more that a slight 3% or 4% grade. When I park I have to shift to PARK and then very slowly ease off the brakes as it comes to rest against the lock in the transmission. Bad for the tranny and bad for my nerves. If I leave it in gear with the engine idling and the foot brake full on, it will roll away on flat ground.

What can I do? No amount of tinkering by at least 3 different mechanics has helped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I have same problem as reported in different thread. My brakes did not pass inspection, so I had rear seals and shoes replaced. It did not help much at all. Now a couple of years later I'm facing inspection failure again. Adjustment alone is useless.

I'm glad that new Transit parking brakes are more like those of many cars in that they seem integrated into caliper. I don't like my E-350's parking brake at all.
Chase and Viejo, did either of you end up with a strong hold on your parking break? Mine does not hold at all and I'm wanting to tackle this issue. Thanks!
Surfvan is offline   Reply With Quote