Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2010, 12:27 PM   #11

Re: Using the transmission to control descent speed

I always brake with the transmission. I want to keep the brakes ready to go. Plus, trailer brakes get too hot really fast, so it only takes a couple good applications to make them worthless. Even at 24,000 pounds, I can control descent speed using the engine, although sometimes that requires 1st gear, which can feel too slow.

It won't hurt the transmission. I have the V10 with 4R100, with 287,000 miles and no engine or transmission problems.

I do have a differential temp gauge because of the weight I run, which is goo because it turns out climbing out of death valley (westbound to 395) I am differential limited as far as temps go (and I have the larger Dana70 gears). I also learned that heavy engine braking will not allow the differential to cool back down after a steep climb. Temps will stay elevated until no longer have to engine brake. So with rolling grades, that can be a problem. But again, that's with a very high combined weight. Diff temps should not be a problem if towing lighter trailers.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:42 AM   #12

Using the transmission to control descent speed

Concur. It's not about overall wear and tear on brakes/rotors. It's about having relatively cool, fresh brakes ready to go when you need them.

Good to hear about the experience with diff temps as I don't have a monitor there yet.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:06 PM   #13

I should point out that Death Valley is really the only area I've really seen the diff climb so high. It never comes close to too hot on interstates and more typical highway grades.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:25 PM   #14

Anyone done a self install on this temperature guage? I would like to install one, as opposed to having Ford do it.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:42 AM   #15

The easiest way to install a diff temp gauge is by upgrading to a MagHytek diff case. It holds more fluid, is finned, is stronger, and has a dipstick, drain plug, and a temp sender port. Then you screw in the sender, run a wire to you dash, and hook it up to your diff temp gauge (which also requires connected dash light power and ground).
Old 08-14-2010, 06:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick51
Anyone done a self install on this temperature guage? I would like to install one, as opposed to having Ford do it.
If you install a ScanGauge, one of the choices is to display the transmission temperature. Installing one of these devices means simply plugging it into the computer port and mounting the gauge somewhere.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:20 PM   #17

would someone read all this and help me (yes i am lazy and multi tasking a work project)

and just tell me if a V-10 can be used for tranny braking

(not to be confused with Tranny Breaking, that is a way diff web site

bw
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:25 PM   #18
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvrr
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick51
If you install a ScanGauge, one of the choices is to display the transmission temperature. Installing one of these devices means simply plugging it into the computer port and mounting the gauge somewhere.
Hey Jack, I started a similar reply until I realized they are (now) talking about a rear diff temp gauge. The post title skewed me also.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson
would someone read all this and help me (yes i am lazy and multi tasking a work project)

and just tell me if a V-10 can be used for tranny braking

bw
Yes, you may. It's the only way I can keep the bus from pushing the van down long steep grades.

(The bus goes much faster when it's being pulled behind the van... Otherwise it's slow going up hills). And yes, the bus is really being towed by van, 4-down with a 50-ton tow bar.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:48 PM   #20

I tow my jeep and a boat(not together) and I always use the tow haul and tranny to brake on down grades. Yes the RPM goes up to 4K if you are going too fast and are in 1st or 2nd. Just slow down. And by the way I was wondering??? If you have "breaks" to slow you down do you have a "wench" to pull you up?
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote