Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2012, 10:20 PM   #1

V10 dipstick tube replacement - HELP!

OK, I followed the threads on Ford-Trucks for how to get the old dipstick tube out. Mine was really rusty at the top and the dipstick would sit out abut 1/2". They eventually rust through creating even bigger problems.

So I got the old dipstick tube out (PB Blaster, cut it with bolt cutters and wiggled it the last 8" of it out of the block).

I can't get the new dipstick tube in. I removed the doghouse and MAF/air filter, but because of the shape of the dipstick tube, I can't put it in. I can barely get the end between the gap behind the exhaust manifold, but then it is rotated completely the wrong way to get down behind the oil filter mount and into the block. Obviously I don't want to bend it, because it will work-harden and snap.

Right now the only option I can see is to remove the LH exhaust manifold, and even then, success is not guaranteed. My exhaust manifold studs and nut are very rusty and removing them will create a whole new set of problems (removing broken studs etc.)

I'm an idiot for doing this two weeks before a big camping trip.

HELP!

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:31 PM   #2

Can you move the van or will oil spill out? I'd take it to a mechanic if so. If he rebuilds/replaces engines he'll have a trick to swapping those out. It may be messy though. You could plug it somehow to move the van.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:47 PM   #3

Re: V10 dipstick tube replacement - HELP!

That is the backup plan.

Another option is to cut the tube and sleeve it with a piece of rubber hose. But based on what I went through to get the end of the old one out, no guarantees that will work either(without removing the manifold).

Old 06-24-2012, 11:00 PM   #4

Is your mounted in the left front of the motor?
I am not sure where the tube goes into the block or pan but my 2008 V-10 the stick is in the front by the master cylinder. Its a pain just to get the stick in and out its so far down in there.
Is the problem that it is too big to start in the hole?
In the past I used to file them down at the tip to get them started.
If its an alignment problem you might be able to cut it and and use a compression fitting to put it back together. Just remember it might add a bit of length to the tube.
I can go out and look at mine if that would help. Maybe I could come up with an idea.

Whatever you do DO NOT try to remove the rusty exhaust bolts and nuts. That will be just opening another can of worms. You can always plug the hole with a Rubber or Plastic tapered plug.

Good Luck
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:03 PM   #5

+1 on not bothering the manifold. Not days before your trip! Good luck with it!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:13 PM   #6

The issue isn't getting the tip into the block, the issue is getting the whole bendy thing down in behind the exhaust manifold. The body of the van, the exhaust manifold, and pretty much everything else block it.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:37 AM   #7

Of course NOW I decide to read the shop manual... You have to remove the LH exh manifold.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:02 AM   #8

Yeah after my last reply I went out and jacked it up to look under it and I see that it would be the easiest way to install it is by removing the manifold. Then I just looked in my manual and it said the same thing. I would say spray the nuts with PB Blaster or some good penetrating fluid (not something like WD40) and let it sit a long time. Maybe run it after you spray it and get it hot then let it cool and spray it again. A torch might be your friend on this one. I used to be a tech back in Upstate NY where everything rusts bad. You will need patience and time to get it off, but you can do it and you have to tell your self that.

The only other thing you could try is cutting it with a tubing cutter and using a compression fitting to join it back together someplace on where it goes along above the manifold. You could always do that for now and then get everything you need to take the manifold off and then get a second new tube and do the whole thing after your trip.

Best of Luck...
...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:09 AM   #9

My camping trip is only 3 hrs round trip so I am going to put a rubber nipple and bolt in there for now.

I swore I read the shop manual last year on it, I must have been distracted by the F350 guys DIY threads.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #10

OK, decided against the bung and went with the Bush Mechanic technique of cutting the dipstick tube. Used a hacksaw and then dressed end with a file, gently. Then Brake Kleened and blown out with air.

You need to cut it EXACTLY 6.5" below the hole in the lower mounting tab, and that way both piece fit in.

I used 1" length of 7/16" ID fuel hose and clamps to join it, hopefully it will be ok a few inches away from the headers.

There was a LOT of rust inside the block hole, I used some 220 then 400 grade paper to clean it up, then cleaned it with WD-40 on a cloth carefully and lubed the bottom of the new tube with motor oil.

Anyway, now my dipstick goes all the way in, I was able to change my oil.

One minor note, the oil drain plug uses a weird O-ring like thing (Saab and GM use them too) that I couldn't find, and had to buy a new OEM drain bolt as mine was chewed up.

Anyway, wish I hadn't opened this can of worms but MUCH better than ripping into the headers and rusted studs.