Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2019, 12:35 PM   #31
Orv

Garage
I'm aware Ford "de-contented" this stuff at some point for at least some vehicles, because I had a 2001 Ford Crown Vic where an oil pressure idiot light switch simply positioned the gauge needle in the center whenever there was oil pressure. My current van either has something like this, or extremely stable oil pressure -- on start-up the gauge rises up to about the 'L' in 'NORMAL', then stays there. If I shut the engine off, then turn the key on, I can see it slowly decay down to the lower peg.

I had a Volvo 240 that had the dead-band thing. There were three distinct bands, cold, normal, and hot, with any other changes damped out. Eventually the circuit board for this failed and started producing wildly inaccurate readings, so I direct-wired it and found it worked just fine.

Anyway, I've probably hijacked this thread enough.

Old 08-22-2019, 01:25 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadScience View Post
There certainly are new vehicles today that have proper oil pressure gauges, but they tend to be up-market.
Those are rarely real either. They generally just use an algorithm of oil temp vs rpm. And sometimes oil temp is calculated from cylinder head temp....
Old 08-23-2019, 07:22 AM   #33
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orv View Post

Anyway, I've probably hijacked this thread enough.
Maybe but thankfully this forum doesn't hyperventilate when that does happen. Its good to discuss some issues if only to increase our general knowledge of vehicles of any era or age or even manufacturer.

For me an actual needle and scale type gauge would have maybe prevented an engine swap due low OP that was made apparent only when the factory sending unit triggered the dash light and warning chime. With just over 143K miles at the time on an '05 E350 with 5.4 (and it being a new-to-me too) its hard knowing how long the previous fleet owner let the failing oil pressure go unaddressed.

Even with reported regular maintenance low OP was nearly impossible to detect as there was no real indication. Not sure any gauge would have helped as this was driven by "unmotivated" employees of the fleet owner.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:25 AM   #34

Having added Autometer gauges to mine. Even if the Ford gauges registered accurately, I still enjoy having a number to read instead of a Low/High scale. And with the gauges on the pillar now, they are hard to ignore.

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:58 AM   #35

ORV. Quote "My current van either has something like this, or extremely stable oil pressure -- on start-up the gauge rises up to about the 'L' in 'NORMAL', then stays there. If I shut the engine off, then turn the key on, I can see it slowly decay down to the lower peg."

My CNG 5.4 pickup and 7.3 diesel van both have the the infamous Star Wars lightsaver needle. From the beginning, I never liked it because as you said the needle never really moved only on start up and shut down! Within the 1st year I had already changed the transmission pan to a Magtech adding capacity and it came with a built in port for trans oil temp! So I went to town on gauges: Transmission, water & engine oil temps. Oil pressure, EGT temp, Boost pressure, Voltage metter, and a clock! The clock sucks always loses time so som day I will replace it and add a solar panel gauge or something!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 07:06 PM   #36

Update. We got the van back today with new V10 installed. So far it is running good. Total cost was $8600. This was the cheapest quote of the multiple quotes. Add an additional $85.00 because somehow we got it home and locked both sets of keys in the car as we were taking stuff out of the van. Ugh. Anyway, glad to have it done. Now I want to invest in new springs on the van as our front are pretty much straight across.
Dbark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 11:53 PM   #37
Orv

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetreevanman View Post
Having added Autometer gauges to mine. Even if the Ford gauges registered accurately, I still enjoy having a number to read instead of a Low/High scale. And with the gauges on the pillar now, they are hard to ignore.
That's a good idea. I've done it on other cars, but finding a spot for the sender is always a pain.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:38 AM   #38
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orv View Post
That's a good idea. I've done it on other cars, but finding a spot for the sender is always a pain.
I added my Auto Meter OP sending unit on one of those pancake oil filter adapters with multiple female threaded NPT ports, typically 1/8" as most pressure and temperature senders have that thread. Here's something to what I used: https://www.wish.com/product/5593953...SABEgIbgfD_BwE

I can post photos of my own installation if that'd be helpful? Do be advised those adapters come in "sizes" where they're attached with a threaded fitting that simulates an oil filter installed. They're meant to remain in place when the oil filter is changed though.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:10 AM   #39

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbark View Post
Update. We got the van back today with new V10 installed. So far it is running good. Total cost was $8600. This was the cheapest quote of the multiple quotes. Add an additional $85.00 because somehow we got it home and locked both sets of keys in the car as we were taking stuff out of the van. Ugh. Anyway, glad to have it done. Now I want to invest in new springs on the van as our front are pretty much straight across.
That is great to hear your van is back on the road!

2001 Van Haus E350 EB 7.3L Quadvan 4X4
1999 Sportsmobile E150 - SOLD
2002 Sportsmobile RB50 7.3L 4X4 - SOLD
dokaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:23 PM   #40
Orv

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
I added my Auto Meter OP sending unit on one of those pancake oil filter adapters with multiple female threaded NPT ports, typically 1/8" as most pressure and temperature senders have that thread.
Ah, okay. I'm familiar with the concept because my VW Cabriolet had an oil cooler that attached that way. I had the O-ring between it and the engine block blow one cold morning...that was a bad day.