Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2017, 04:01 AM   #1

V10 hard to start hot

Last week on a road trip in temperatures over 100 degrees my v10 was hard to start after stopping to get gas. It did this twice. It started fine when cold. Could it be vapor lock or is this a sign of the fuel pump going bad. 50,000 miles on it.

calclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:56 AM   #2

Did it happen after fueling up both times?

What year is your van?
Old 06-28-2017, 09:05 AM   #3

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:19 AM   #4

Yes after fuel up. 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeagent View Post
Did it happen after fueling up both times?

What year is your van?
Old 06-28-2017, 12:07 PM   #5

On mine, once I determined that the hard start was repeatable after every fill up I figured that the engine was getting flooded with vapors from fueling.

I dug into my manual and found out that there is an EVAP Canister Purge Valve. Basically it's a PCM controlled solenoid valve which controls vapors to the intake. The valve is normally closed and then the PCM will tell it to open after the engine is running to consume the excess vapors from the EVAP canister.

When mine failed, it failed open so that the vapors had a clear path to the intake and flooded the engine during each fueling.

It basically has 3 connections. Vapor inlet from the EVAP Canister. Vapor outlet to the intake and then the electrical connector. You can test the valve with a meter to determine condition, but off the top I can't remember whether you'll have continuity or not. However, I do remember that the new one I ordered had the opposite condition which gave me some confirmation. The true confirmation came the next time I fueled up and the engine started right away and has ever since.

The valve can be accessed from the doghouse side and if I remember correctly is was on the driver's side of the motor.

Motorcraft part #s
CX-2022
5C2Z-9C915-DA

Obviously YMMV, but this worked for me. FYI my van is also a 2005.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeagent View Post
On mine, once I determined that the hard start was repeatable after every fill up I figured that the engine was getting flooded with vapors from fueling.

I dug into my manual and found out that there is an EVAP Canister Purge Valve. Basically it's a PCM controlled solenoid valve which controls vapors to the intake. The valve is normally closed and then the PCM will tell it to open after the engine is running to consume the excess vapors from the EVAP canister.

When mine failed, it failed open so that the vapors had a clear path to the intake and flooded the engine during each fueling.

It basically has 3 connections. Vapor inlet from the EVAP Canister. Vapor outlet to the intake and then the electrical connector. You can test the valve with a meter to determine condition, but off the top I can't remember whether you'll have continuity or not. However, I do remember that the new one I ordered had the opposite condition which gave me some confirmation. The true confirmation came the next time I fueled up and the engine started right away and has ever since.

The valve can be accessed from the doghouse side and if I remember correctly is was on the driver's side of the motor.

Motorcraft part #s
CX-2022
5C2Z-9C915-DA

Obviously YMMV, but this worked for me. FYI my van is also a 2005.
Thanks this is good info. It seems to only do it when its real hot but I will take this advice and keep an eye on it.

Craig
05 EB 50 V10 4x4 Baja Tan
Old 06-28-2017, 05:07 PM   #7

After my experiences with fuel pumps I wouldn't go very far with a shop without just putting a fuel pump in it anyway. They don't seem to go out anywhere convenient.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 04:31 AM   #8
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Late to this thread but I'd ask by "hard to start" do you mean takes a while to catch fire or does the starter seem to be dragging, like a low charge on the battery during these hot re-starts?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 01:39 PM   #9

I had a similar issue and replaced the fuel filter, problem solved.
skiingjohn is offline   Reply With Quote