Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2009, 11:05 AM   #1

V10 performance mods

I was wonder who has tinkerd with their V10 and what were the results? K&N makes a cold air intake that claims 17.5HP. Has any body tried one? http://www.jcwhitney.com/Air-Intake-Kit ... _10101.jcw
How about cat back exhaust swaps? Are any available for a van or have you done any DIY mods with positive results? How about tuners? Specifically did it change the way it shifts? I pull a 7K trailer with my 02 and thought that a few mods may pay off in drivability, power and minor mpg gains. What works and what dosn't?

Stumpalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:17 PM   #2

Re: V10 performance mods

I too would like to know what people have done to the v10's. Specifically if anyone has turbo'd - either single or twin - and what piggybacks they've used to control fuel/timing. Id love to see a 500hp twin turbo v10 sportsmobile - yeehaww!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpalump
I was wonder who has tinkerd with their V10 and what were the results? K&N makes a cold air intake that claims 17.5HP. Has any body tried one? http://www.jcwhitney.com/Air-Intake-Kit ... _10101.jcw
How about cat back exhaust swaps? Are any available for a van or have you done any DIY mods with positive results? How about tuners? Specifically did it change the way it shifts? I pull a 7K trailer with my 02 and thought that a few mods may pay off in drivability, power and minor mpg gains. What works and what dosn't?
JMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:31 PM   #3

A tuner will do more than any thing else. I have a K&N filter, sometimes I use a stock filter, I can't tell the difference. A Flowmaster 70 seems to be best muffler.

5 Star Tuning has done the work on the dyno for V10's. They have the data to back up which mods do what.
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.whitbread
A tuner will do more than any thing else. I have a K&N filter, sometimes I use a stock filter, I can't tell the difference. A Flowmaster 70 seems to be best muffler.

5 Star Tuning has done the work on the dyno for V10's. They have the data to back up which mods do what.
I got the 5 star tuner installed today.Wow! It feels like my 4 speed auto is now a 6 speed. It's always in the right gear and shifts at the right time. Before I could count the gears now they all blend together. I gave Mike at 5 star my concerns and his tuner fixed them. I didn't want a hot rod or a super eco freindly slug. I just wanted it to drive and run right. Now it has crisp throttle response and never bogs because of it being in the wrong gear. The V10 has a real wavy power curve from the factory and just smoothing that out makes it pull nice and even. It just floats thru the gears and downshifting is super easy to control with your foot position. Thumbs up to 5 star tunning! I even got the rig tuned for my tire size and weight. I also got a tow tune for when I hual my jeep on a trailer and an extra tune in case I want to pull with premium gas which is somthing I like to do on hot days.http://www.5startuning.com/v10/index.html
Stumpalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:47 PM   #5

I have the full Banks PowerPack. It made a HUGE improvement in power.

A also re-geared to 4.56. This was the best upgrade for towing.

And I'm running a Diablo Predator. With the Banks and Predator together, the engine developed a nice secondary node around 4800 RPM, so I've raised the shift points and the electronic rev limiter to take advantage of that power.

I have the Banks transcommand. It did improve shift firmness, but not enough for my liking so i've bumped it up even further with the Predator. The transcomand also lowers the TC lockup point, which the Predator does not do (But I think it could with a custom tune).

I pulled the Banks Ottomind when I started using the Predator. I may try stacking them soon to see if it works. The Predator makes more high end power than the ottomind, but the Ottomind makes 100% of your mid-range power available on demand. The ECU retards power availability after downshifts (not just torque modulation for shifting... I think it may be part of the Low Emissions programming). Banks claims up to a minute, but I can sure feel it for the first 10 seconds.

So now I can pull an 18,000 pound trailer up a 6% grade at 65 MPH. All day. Heat is not an issue.

As for reliability... Spark plug life is shorter. Only good for about 70,000 miles now. But as for the motor... I just passed 257,000 miles and the engine and transmission are still like new. About 120,000 of that has been towing. About 50,000 has been with a combined weight over 20,000.

I don't have this trailer any more (broke the frame... with some help of from freezing rain and a guardrail), but fully loaded was over 18,000 pounds, length was 41')