Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2018, 05:19 PM   #1

V10 upgrades

I have a 99 e-350 v10 quigley conversion with about 240k on the original engine. It runs great but wanted to do some small upgrades to get better fuel economy and increase longevity. I was wondering what is best for the v10 when it comes to intake ,exhaust, chip or tuner. Or would I just be wasting money investing in such an old engine.

DylanRobins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:27 PM   #2

5-Star tune and cat-back exhaust will do wonders. I run an AFE intake as well, but that does come with the added maintenance of periodically cleaning the MAF sensor.

For longevity.... use good oil and filters. I run full synthetic. It keeps the lifters and timing chain tensioner happy. If you ever hear it a clattering Triton motor its from poor oil quality. Synthetic blend is fine if you change it regularly, but the V10 tolerates extended intervals just fine. I'm just about to turn 450,000 on mine!
Old 02-12-2018, 06:31 PM   #3

I was very impressed with the tuner from Mike at 5star, faster than a 5.0 mustang and on flat ground with CC set to 60mph I got a whopping 17 mpg. Empty stock van with 3.55 gears and 265/75-16 tires.

Iirc there was a header made for the V10, that should gain you some performance and possibly mpg too.
I bet if you had a bigger exhaust system there would be some gains also.
But AFAIK no known intake for the V10 in the E-series...
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:25 PM   #4

On a '99 I'd start by making sure everything was in good shape. I've been meaning to start a thread on all the dimensions for the rubber hoses and such.

What's your rear axle gearing?

IIRC the go-to header for the v10 is the banks setup that carringb has. There are a number of other ones as well, but it's not clear that they have actually proven to provide any gains.

The banks headers are even CARB approved for some applications, but sadly, as far as I can tell not for a class-c or regular bodied van. -- There's no way I'm swapping headers out every two years for CA smog.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:26 PM   #5

Here's a real good watch: (pay attention at 6:30)

2x 1987 BMW 535is
1995 BMW 540i6
winmag4582001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:35 AM   #6

First and foremost go for a 5-star tune. It's a HUGE improvement for the V10! After you put it on you'll smile for about 6 months and you'll be thinking MOAR POWER! Then, take CarringB's advice, like I did, and get an AFE intake. Another significant improvement.
I put a Flowmaster 70 series muffler on a V10 I had recently with no other mods and it was a decent improvement on it's on. Quiet sound, no drone or annoyance.

Banks is a really nice upgrade but not cheap or simple.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:31 AM   #7
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag4582001 View Post
Here's a real good watch: (pay attention at 6:30)
Very interesting video---thanks for sharing!

I was fascinated by the discussion he begins at about 9:50 in---interesting too.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:33 AM   #8

RE: the video and tuning.... key quote is "this hasn't worked since the 90's".

The V10 is very much a 90s motor. Even though the fuel injection system got a big upgrade in '05, they didn't bump the power any from it's '00 tuning. It's a VERY conservative factory tune, made to run well under poor conditions with crummy fuel you'd get out of a rusty stand-up farm tank.

When you tune the V10, you're doing 2 things for power.... Ignition timing become more aggressive, and dwell time increases making a hotter spark. Both of these do have the side affect of shortening spark plug life, and possibly coil life too (actually cheap coils might not tolerate it at all). Platinum plugs only last me ~60k running my programming, so I run iridium to maintain reasonable intervals. Also, tuning can increase maximum fuel delivery which is important once you start doing breathing improvements.

Finally, the most important element, good tuning will clean up the transmission shifts, which is generally where Ford didn't do so well, up until the 6-speed came out.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:26 AM   #9

With a compression ratio of 9.5:1, a 76mm throttle body and 215cc runner from the exhaust valve to the exhaust manifold, the motor will only make “x” amount of power, and is tuned from the factory to utilize all its potential.
In my lifetime I’ve never seen a cold air intake and cat back exhaust on a NA injected motor make anything but sound. Changing shift points/time and FBW throttle response will make a huge difference in feel. Just like the tow mode on newer trucks.
I’m currently trying to find a handheld device so I can change my shift points but I may just end up running by PFI and have them do it for $100.
2x 1987 BMW 535is
1995 BMW 540i6
winmag4582001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag4582001 View Post
With a compression ratio of 9.5:1, a 76mm throttle body and 215cc runner from the exhaust valve to the exhaust manifold, the motor will only make “x” amount of power, and is tuned from the factory to utilize all its potential.
In my lifetime I’ve never seen a cold air intake and cat back exhaust on a NA injected motor make anything but sound.
Your more than welcome to come riade along sometime it you're even in the NW.

My dad's van is a 5.4L, bone stock. But at even double the combined weight (me with a trailer, him solo) I can out-pull him in the mountains. At similar weights between my brother's V10 motorhome (stock, but with the TorqueShift), I can pull about 15 MPH faster. That's the difference between the slow lane and fast lane.

Banks claims the full powerpack adds 50 hp and 65-lb-ft of torque, and frankly I think that's understated for the P.I. heads at least, based on how better mine pulls. Banks+Tuner is the best combo, because it allows more fuel delivery at the top end end, when the factory tuning can lean out, and also allows more RPMs to be used. With stock shift points, it upshifts before it's reached peak HP (with the breathing improvements, without breathing improvements it just falls out its face at high RPMs).

Between all that, as well as lower gearing, my fuel economy towing went from 5.5 MPG or worse, with only 17k combined, to 9+ MPG at anywhere from 22-25k combined, all while being able to do it without needing to slow down in the mountains.