Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2018, 03:11 PM   #1

V10 year interchangeability

Hi, I recently purchased a cheap 97 conversion van with a bad motor. I found a 2000 v10 to swap, does anyone know it it will work? Thanks.

SteveAndLillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:45 PM   #2

OBD is the same... everything else I think too.
Good luck and remember to take pictures
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:48 AM   #3

Thank you! Salvage yard said it was a match too but I feel safer getting the forums opinion.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:09 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Agreed the physical motor is a direct replacement but I'm wondering if the '97 already has a V10? If not some mounting parts and front springs will probably have to use those spec'd for the larger engine, perhaps radiator too?

Your only potential issue would be compatibility of the chassis wiring with any/all of the "new" motor's sensors etc. Assuming you'll re-use the '97's components it'll be an easy swap, pretty much plug-n-play.

The only "problem" I've ever read about is how to grab and extract the engine---there's not a lot of room for an engine hoist in an E-Series.

I'll be interested how your swap goes--have always thought about replacing my 5.4 with a V10.

BTW BBasso's suggestion about taking lots of pictures is a very, very sound idea. You'll be removing a lot of parts forward of the engine, pretty much the entire front end sheet metal. Carefully done the A/C system can be left intact, move the condenser etc to one side saving that extra labor and cost.

Please keep us updated----should be an interesting project.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:28 AM   #5

It is a v10 to v10 swap and there are some decent videos on YouTube showing the extraction. One of them shows a homemade tool that lets the engine hoist grab the engine from the front which is pretty cool. Still trying to decide if I want to take this on though. Thanks for the replies.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:04 AM   #6

If I can fit a 7.3 out the front you can definitely fit a V10.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAndLillian View Post
It is a v10 to v10 swap and there are some decent videos on YouTube showing the extraction. One of them shows a homemade tool that lets the engine hoist grab the engine from the front which is pretty cool. Still trying to decide if I want to take this on though. Thanks for the replies.
I have a '99 V10 great engine, painful gas milage. If you're thinking of not tackling the job, I believe John at Deetz Offroad has a commercial front hoist used for vans allowing one to avoid removing the body.
Ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:46 AM   #8

'00+ v10s have different programming than the '97-99 versions due to the higher power output and different transmission (4r100 vs E4OD). Also differently located intake air temp sensors but that's easy to work around. You'd probably have a swap PCMs as well, or at least keep the VIN from the donor van to get a dealer reflash after the swap
Old 08-10-2018, 08:46 AM   #9

On that note... I'm not sure you can program a '00+ v10 to work with the E4OD. Might have to swap the trans as well.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:38 AM   #10

Is the later drivetrain significantly better? Engine is the same but output is better due to software?
What are some of the differences with the transmissions?
I have read that the later ones may be much better to drive?? Better fuel mileage??

I know I could google all of that but I also know there are a lot of very knowledgeable people here who don’t mind sharing. I will research myself if no one wants to elaborate.
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote