Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2010, 08:58 AM   #1

V8 versus V10

I did a search and found some posts on this, but not that many. Opinion was a bit split. Everything else being equal, I assume the V10 is the way to go. New it is a no-brainer. I think the V10 costs $900 more. But what if I find something used for a good price with a V8. Will I end up frustrated? I won't be doing Everest, but I can see myself spending some time in the mountains.

diver110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:04 AM   #2

Re: V8 versus V10

To add to my own post, no one said a V8 is preferable to a V10, but some seem to say the difference was not that big of a deal. Much noise difference, by the way?
diver110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:26 AM   #3

If you are buying new go with the v10. I have both engines and they are not noticeably different until the hills and if you tow at all.

This info may or may not be helpful....

With my 5.4 v8 I towed a 5k# boat across the US several times. It was a real drag on the engine and transmission. Hills forget about as your in the slow lane.... I mention this because the 5k boat plus weight of the car equals the 10k# weight of the SMB. My V10 doesn't seem sluggish and can power up hills no problem at the 10k# weight of my SMB. So not a direct comparison but in the ballpark.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:28 PM   #4

Hi,

I drove Ford 15 passenger vans all over N.Y.C. for many years, doing film production and they all had the v-8 engine. Hauling 15 people in them was o.k. but quite sluggish going up any grade of hill.
I also drove the Ford cargo vans, and they were v-8s but loaded with production gear and they were slower, compared to an empty van.
If you are choosing between a v-8 and a v-10, go with the v-10 if you do a conversion and make the van a camper. For the amount of equipment, water and other rv stuff, the weight adds up quickly, and that does not include the riders, sports gear, food and luggage!
Better yet, buy a diesel powered van and enjoy much better fuel efficiency. The Ford 7.3 Turbo diesel is a champ!
I like the Ford vans, but the new front grill is a step backwards in the astetics department.

Any way, good luck finding the right van for your application.

Peace,

Zugg

Old 10-12-2010, 09:44 PM   #5

or then there is this...

http://www.fordcummins.com/

<cue maniacal laughter>

John from Quadvan told me about this, although he also said "it's not for the faint of heart..."

still, I cannot get it out of my head...
Old 10-13-2010, 08:48 AM   #6

They have a Jeep with a 4BTA. Almost teared up there for a minute.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:05 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
They have a Jeep with a 4BTA. Almost teared up there for a minute.
Here you go Jage. An entire forum dedicated to 4BT swaps. Have dreamed for years about a 4BT swap for my Bronco.

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/index.php

Herb