Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2014, 08:00 PM   #1

Want to swap 6.0 to V10

I have grown to hate my 6.0 ford diesel. In 100,000 mile of use I have been towed 4 times, spent over 10K on repairs and have no idea what additional repairs were covered by warranty. Can no longer stand the noise and rattle of a diesel. We breath a sigh of relief when we turn the key and it starts. Anyone out there heard of swapping the 6.0 for a gas engine? Is it possible?

Rigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:31 PM   #2

Re: Want to swap 6.0 to V10

Much easier to just sell it and buy a V10 I bet. CarringB will chime in with your answer soon.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:39 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Much easier to just sell it and buy a V10 I bet. CarringB will chime in with your answer soon.

Agree.

Complexity aside, there would be all sorts of Federal emission laws to deal with.

Herb
Old 03-09-2014, 09:09 PM   #4

I could put a list together for you of all the things that would need to be done but the list of things I'd actually recommend doing is much shorter.

Step 1: sell current van
Step 2: buy V10 van

mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:50 PM   #5

What he said. Just sell and get a V10. It wouldn't really be feasible to do the swap.

Or... you could have Michael swap in a Cummins. The Commonrail 5.9L can be tuned be very smooth, and it also shouldn't smell if its tuned well. This would be a good option if you like the rest of the van. You can even use the existing transmission.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:02 AM   #6

I sense a growing demand for V-10's and some very cheap 6.0's as our fleet ages... I think they will just drop out of existence quite quickly as people get tired (and broke) chasing all of their inherent weaknesses. I recently noticed AAA is offering an RV tow package of 100 miles for an small extra premium. I think it would be smart for me to add it. That way I can get the van back to the house and at least store stuff in it. Maybe a business idea there... SMB storage pods!!!
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
What he said. Just sell and get a V10. It wouldn't really be feasible to do the swap.

Or... you could have Michael swap in a Cummins. The Commonrail 5.9L can be tuned be very smooth, and it also shouldn't smell if its tuned well. This would be a good option if you like the rest of the van. You can even use the existing transmission.
Why, or how, is any Cummins engine more feasible than a Ford V10?

Not saying at all that it's a good idea, but if you bought a wrecked donor van and swapped everything needed from one to other, wouldn't it be much simpler, cheaper, and faster than trying to engineer and fabricate everything along the way?

A swap would only make sense to me if an owner had a particular attachment to van that went beyond monetary, or if he had too much invested in conversion, 4X4, suspension upgrades, wheels and tires, and so on that it was too expensive to replicate later on replacement van. Otherwise selling and buying a replacement makes much sense.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
Not saying at all that it's a good idea, but if you bought a wrecked donor van and swapped everything needed from one to other, wouldn't it be much simpler, cheaper, and faster than trying to engineer and fabricate everything along the way?
That's a great option and would keep the cost down, still a ton of work...

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:10 AM   #9

Yes, it would be a ton of work. But doable if you really wanted to. At least all the parts are off the shelf and readily available. I can see blowing through many thousands for parts and dozens of hours of labor though...

BTW...a Cummins swap is in no way, shape or form easier than putting a V10 in a 6.0 van... It certainly isn't the cheaper route either. Trust me.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:44 AM   #10

The advantage I see for a cummins swap is retaining the fuel system, and you *may* be able to recoup some if the conversion cost in resale value (there does seem to be some folks who like the idea of a cummins powered ford). A 6.0 turned into a v10 will still only carry v10 resale value, maybe even less due to potential registration hassles in some states (not Oregon, but I suspect California wouldn't pass inspection without an extra kickback to the inspection shop).