Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2012, 09:57 AM   #1

Warning! 6.0L cooling cap

I've never bought in to carrying a spare engine around "just in case", or replacing stock parts "in case" however, by 4 minutes into this you should be ready to replace your cooling cap:

Quote:
Ford motor company produced these caps... the biggest problem with these caps is the spring inside of them is very small... this is the part number for ALL ford motor vehicles, all mustangs, crown vics, econoline vans, gas burners, diesels, it's wholly inadequate for a diesel application but Ford didn't want to make a separate part number just for a diesel coolant cap, so they just kept using it.
Advance Auto Parts version has the largest spring and is $4.99.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #2

Re: Warning! 6.0L cooling cap

For sure, the fan in my van comes on well before the 230 mark, and is on full speed by 215. Maybe the vans are a little different in that regard.

Still, I will get a new cap.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #3

If you are still on warranty, it might be a good idea to get the Ford replacement part that has the larger spring that the video says cost about $12 instead of $5. That way if you do blow the sucker up Ford can't blame you for using non-Ford parts. Sure if you're on warranty, you can afford to just let it blow up, but do you really want to be stuck out there somewhere with a blown engine under any circumstances?
Electrical: 4 cf fridge, nuker, water heater, compressor
Propane: stove top, furnace Travel: https://www.lugnutlife.wordpress.com
coyotearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:19 PM   #4

AutoZone has a "Coolant Pressure Tester w/Adapters" on their loan a tool program. Think I will head over and see what my cap does.
Millerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:20 PM   #5

My cap lasted until 265,000 miles. At which point it allowed the radiator to over-pressurize and it burst like a microwaved sausage. I still towed the trailer home another 300 miles. But the V10 is designed to still drive without coolant.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #6
Site Team

That man has passion for what he does.

Herb
Old 02-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #7

Warning! 6.0L cooling cap

Anyone ever purchase the EDAS
system (Engine Damage Avoidance System) on Powerstrokehelp.com?
For $249.95, thought I might ask...
Sounds like a good gadget to have for peace of mind, but what's anyone's experience with it, if any?

Romeo
Old 02-19-2012, 10:25 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutefreedom
Anyone ever purchase the EDAS
system (Engine Damage Avoidance System) on Powerstrokehelp.com?
For $249.95, thought I might ask...
Sounds like a good gadget to have for peace of mind, but what's anyone's experience with it, if any?

Romeo
Based on a quick read, it seems to be based on monitoring coolant pressure. I installed a ScanGauge on my SMB and monitored the EOT and ECT. It was that differential which let me know, before any failure, that an oil cooler failure was approaching. When I had the oil cooler replaced, I also had the EGR replaced.

The ScanGauge has a lot of functionality beyond monitoring EOT and ECT, so that's a preferrable way to go in my opinion. Not sure if the EDAS offers more than I saw.

Herb
Old 02-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Based on a quick read, it seems to be based on monitoring coolant pressure. I installed a ScanGauge on my SMB and monitored the EOT and ECT. It was that differential which let me know, before any failure, that an oil cooler failure was approaching. When I had the oil cooler replaced, I also had the EGR replaced.
Herb
I have had a ScanGauge on my list of ToDo's for over a year now, and needed reports like this to help me decide whether to get one. Still being on warranty, I haven't been too pressed to make the decision. When I previously read about the EDAS, I immediately thought it was probably a piece of junk (except it generates an audio signal that may or may not be that audible above engine noise at speed) compared to what the ScanGauge could possibly do. So do tell:
1) What temperatures(?) are EOT & ECT and how did you know they spelled problems?
2) Were after-repair results on the ScanGauge indicative that you had fixed the problem?
Although it sounds like the ScanGauge does all kinds of fun things, the last thing I need is to spend more money on guages that tell me to spend more money on fixin' thangs that don't need fixin'.
Electrical: 4 cf fridge, nuker, water heater, compressor
Propane: stove top, furnace Travel: https://www.lugnutlife.wordpress.com
coyotearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #10
Site Team

Post oil cooler and EGR replacement got my EOT and ECT's in line with each other. There are short term deviations, but steady speed and on level ground, the temps are within a few degrees of each other. This is when the engine is at full operating temps (maybe 40 minutes of driving).

Some posts on the temp deltas.

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=8411&hilit=eot+ect

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4658&hilit=eot+ect

Herb