Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2009, 08:14 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg In Austin
Who all got an email from SMB on this topic?

I got nothing.
There were several dozen other email addresses on mine.

2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:38 PM   #122

Quote:
PatO,

So your non-flow by-pass filter problem was when the lines were incorrectly attached (reversed)?

I think that is what I expected from the previous discussions.
Yes, but I've had other filters installed where I definitely had flow (hot filters). After I put these on in June I never checked it. The fact that I potentially have had no filtering for 4500 miles concerns me. I had ordered those filters from AMSOil last January.

Consider this AMSOil product description for the Bypass filter directly off of their website:

Superior Construction
The superior construction of AMSOIL EaBP Filters provides better sealing and increased longevity along with superior corrosion resistance. AMSOIL EaBP Filters have a marine powder coated exterior; and their zinc-dichromate base plates increase rust protection. EaBP Filters have a nitrile HNBR gasket and an
orange silicone anti-drain valve. The two stage pleated and layered cellulose/full synthetic media has an efficiency rating of 98.7 percent at two microns.

An anti drain valve prevents backflow. When I look in the inlet ports on the bottom of the filters I just took off all I see is ORANGE! Maybe this is a recent enhancement to the filter but there is no other explanation for the barely warm filters. I did not have REVERSE flow through these filters.

Pat
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:01 AM   #123
Site Team

Garage
Quote:

I got nothing.

So far I have no responce from SMB about the restrictor, only about the lines which was an E-Mail from them on how to make the swap. That part is done. My BP filter now runs very warm but not hot. When John made the original post I ran out kick up the engine from a cold start and like he said the BP filter stayed cold. Now with the lines swapped it gets warm within 10 min. I plan to pull the restrictor but wish SMB would jump in and give their view. I plan to E-Mail them.

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:50 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Quote:

I got nothing.

So far I have no responce from SMB about the restrictor, only about the lines which was an E-Mail from them on how to make the swap. That part is done. My BP filter now runs very warm but not hot. When John made the original post I ran out kick up the engine from a cold start and like he said the BP filter stayed cold. Now with the lines swapped it gets warm within 10 min. I plan to pull the restrictor but wish SMB would jump in and give their view. I plan to E-Mail them.

Dave
I plan to put the restrictor back in. It might provide the the back pressure to have the bypass filter work efficiently or it just might reduce flow to the full filter while oil pressure is building up under starting conditions. I'm just glad to be finally filtering my oil!
Pat
Old 01-14-2009, 07:42 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatO
There were several dozen other email addresses on mine.
And you "replied all" and told everyone how you read about this a month ago on Sportsmobileforum.com right?

Seriously, that's really bad form. You know have a long list of owners' email and several dozen other people also have yours and everyone elses' email, which happen to be a targeted audience of Sportsmobile owners current and past.

I'd be pissed. The Amsoil fiasco is no excuse to be sloppy and provide your personal information to a bunch of strangers.

[/rant]
Old 01-20-2009, 04:37 AM   #126

Re: Warning to 6.0 PSD Owners with Amsoil System

One thing you guys had better think about. Regardless of what SMB is saying and some others the Amsoil filters and the Donaldson have anti drain back valves. This acts just like a check valve and will restrict flow if plumbed backwards. What happens is the bypass valve internal to the motor will open if there is a restrition. When it opens it will bypass the filter and the oil will not get filtered. Also the restriction in the filter head is there for a reason. If you notice the bypass filter is first inline. If the restriction is not in the head you will not get enough back pressure to force the oil through the bypass filter thus causing little flow. Jim is correct the restriction is not in the new head in its present form, however there is a built in restriction that cannot be taken out. Another thing Amsoil is not responsible for the SMB being hooked up wrong. The adapter on the 6.0 engine is SMB design not Amsoils and Amsoil does not offer it. They use the oil filter cap instead to get the oil supply to and add on bypass filter only. A person would me much better off to use a single bypass setup and use the original full flow filter as the engine was designed for.

Greg
LanduytG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:06 PM   #127
Site Team

Garage

Greg I was shown the adaptor that is made by AMSOIL. SMB copied the AMSOIL design and SMB’s is simply made with smoother oil journals and looks very similar. I'm not saying I wasn't lied to but I have no proof that I was either. I hope you're wrong about the filtering but I don't have the knowledge to confirm or deny that end of it. I do know the filters were working to some extent because I got no significant metals on the oil plug magnet during the first oil changes. As far as the restrictor, I’m still waiting to discuss this with SMB and have them do it. I do like the idea that the system cools the oil. I was told by one of the SMB techs that the restrictor portion itself is necked down, so maybe Jim is correct in saying its OK to take it out. I think Jim and SMB should clarify how it works and how the flows will react to the change. If the filter system with the restrictor works better than the stock system even if it’s hooked up backwards, then I’m not worried. If not…well. Is there someone not affiliated with AMSOIL or SMB that could verify this? One person would be an individual who had the system hooked up backwards and did regular oil samples that were checked by a lab. Other than that, someone would have to have some fairly high tech equipment to run a test.

Any AMSOIL users out there willing to post their lab reports if they did them?

Old 01-20-2009, 03:20 PM   #128

Garage

Today, I reversed the lines on my '07 RB-50, changed the two filters and removed the spring loaded restrictor. The restrictor is simply a reducer bushing that makes the ID for oil flow smaller, but not that much. The filter block oil passage ID is .60" and the ID of the restrictor is .30", so I'm getting better oil flow now, and in the correct direction. I doubt that will be a problem.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:29 PM   #129

daveb

Jim was the original designer of the adapter. Then SMB refined it. Jim showed me the orginal at a direct jobbers convention in FL a few years ago.

Here is a link to the Donaldson catalog that tells about the filter that is being recommended by Jim. https://dynamic.donaldson.com/webc/WebS ... item=12291
If you look you can see it has the anti drain back valve and a built in pressure relief set at 18-20 psi.
I for one would be a very POed person if I had a new motor oil system hooked up backwards. The anti draw back is a check valve and even though it might have let some oil through it still bypassed a lot of it as well.

Greg
LanduytG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:03 PM   #130
Site Team

Garage

Greg do you have any info on the Eao26 filter? Jim says they are too restrictive. Do they incorporate this anti draw back check valve?

Jeffery what you posted is what SMB told me about the restrictor. At that time they suggested to leave it in.

Thanks for the info guys.
Dave.