Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2008, 10:43 AM   #21

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Jeffery,

I was thinking the same thing. We happen to have an extra pair of filters already in hand.

I also want to wait and hear the conclusions and maybe directions from SMB. We have no reason to need to drive (unless Baylor and OK State come through today) for the next couple of weeks.

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:51 PM   #22

I agree that switching the flow direction on a filter that has been used for a while time will probably send some of the trapped particulate matter back through the oil system. It would be best to swap out filters.

John
Old 11-29-2008, 09:04 PM   #23

I took a look at my filter setup today after reading this thread. Mine is set up with the left hose going to the left port on the engine adaptor and the right hose off of the filters going to the right port on the engine adaptor.(From this thread that sounds like it is set up incorrectly) I started up the van and took it for a quick drive. The full flow filter was warm and the by pass filter was still cold. After a little longer drive the full flow filter was hot and the bypass filter was warm to the touch. To me, without pulling the whole thing off to check the flow direction, that seems to be working correctly? I will wait, to change the hoses, for further info. Thanks for the info. Mine is a September 2007 SMB west.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:11 PM   #24
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMrider
I'm a bit puzzled because after warning the motor up for 10min in the driveway, the large bypass filter remains cool to the touch and the small filter is warm/hot. But after driving at highway speeds for 15-20 miles, the bypass filter is warm/hot too. In the driveway, my tranny temp never got above 120, so I'm not sure I reached full operating temp. After driving on the highway, my tranny temp was up to the normal 160-165. If the bypass does not function until higher motor temps, then that may be consistent with my experience and my setup is OK. Hmmmm.

Rob
Both Jim with AMSOIL and Heber @ SMB said the bypass filter is still working so both will be warm after running the engine long enough. Heber agreed that lines do need to be swapped but the BP filter is still working, just not to its full potential. SMB plans to make a general announcement soon. I would like to know if anybody has a system that’s hooked up correctly. I’m sure SMB would also like to know. Being mine was setup in December of 05 and I’m see others that have the same problem with newer vehicles, maybe they have set the systems up that way from day one.

(I also noticed a decrease in engine noise and the motor did run much smoother after I switched to AMSOIL early this year @24K. Another plus was seeing the mileage increased about 2 MPG when running at highway speeds).

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:48 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMrider
I'm a bit puzzled because after warning the motor up for 10min in the driveway, the large bypass filter remains cool to the touch and the small filter is warm/hot. But after driving at highway speeds for 15-20 miles, the bypass filter is warm/hot too. In the driveway, my tranny temp never got above 120, so I'm not sure I reached full operating temp. After driving on the highway, my tranny temp was up to the normal 160-165. If the bypass does not function until higher motor temps, then that may be consistent with my experience and my setup is OK. Hmmmm.

Rob
Both Jim with AMSOIL and Heber @ SMB said the bypass filter is still working so both will be warm after running the engine long enough. Heber agreed that lines do need to be swapped but the BP filter is still working, just not to its full potential. SMB plans to make a general announcement soon. I would like to know if anybody has a system that’s hooked up correctly. I’m sure SMB would also like to know. Being mine was setup in December of 05 and I’m see others that have the same problem with newer vehicles, maybe they have set the systems up that way from day one.

(I also noticed a decrease in engine noise and the motor did run much smoother after I switched to AMSOIL early this year @24K. Another plus was seeing the mileage increased about 2 MPG when running at highway speeds).
Helpful info, thanks.

I drove about 6 hours yesterday. After about 15-20min, both filters were warm/hot so there is something happening in the bypass filter.

Since we both have 06 vans and ours were done incorrectly, I'd have to assume that all of the Amsoil systems were done incorrectly from the start.
Rob
Old 12-02-2008, 10:37 PM   #26

Its now official.
Left goes right and right goes left.

charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:08 PM   #27

Charlie, I take it you got that diagram from Peter? Did he mention of there would be an informational bulletin posted on the sportsmobile.com website?
Did anyone (at SMB) offer any conjecture on what the impact if this mis-plumbing would be? I personally chose amsoil for the longer service intervals and haven't changed my oil with the regularity required by standard filtration. This was a selling point by SMB to me on this system.

I can't check my van's amsoil configuration because it's at SMBw for the 6th time in it's inaugural year for AC problems, and to have the drivers side repainted for a second time. I know some of you are aware of my issues with SMB so I won't recount that here.

I'm very curious to find out what the official response from SMB. I just called to check on the status of my van and I left a vmail for Peter, and I asked him about the status of my van but also what the official consensus is from SMB's standpoint, if they have one yet.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:34 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buji
Charlie, I take it you got that diagram from Peter? Did he mention of there would be an informational bulletin posted on the sportsmobile.com website?
No such luck yet. This was the complete email that accompanied the drawing from Peter.

Hi Charlie,
The enclosed attachment illustrates the correct Amsoil line routing.
Please feel free to contact me with any concerns or comments.
You will not loose any oil except for what is in the lines.
Thank You,
Peter

Hopefully they are formulating a plan to officially notify us. They have to realize that this will have some financial ramifications. They certainly can't expect everyone will be able to swap out the lines themselves. I think they also need to address the expense of replacing filters, oil, and providing an oil analysis to put our minds at ease that there isn't any long term damage. For me I don't see much chance of damage as I only had 6k miles on this oil change and the backwards full flow hopefully did its job, but those who have had the same oil for a year or more (assuming the bipass was doing its job) may have reason to be a bit more concerned.

I thought I would give them a week to flush things out before responding back.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 04:25 PM   #29
CJ

Send a message via Yahoo to CJ
I cant wait to see this one. I hope it's all inclusive and ZERO cost to the consumer(s).

I'm waiting for formal notification before I even look.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:13 PM   #30

Sportsmobile will soon be coming out with a statement on how the AMS Oil situation will be addressed. Testing is going on to determine the best approach to take on this issue. Oil samples from a few different rigs have been sent to AMS Oil for analysis. These samples were taken from vans that had some different characteristics such as...mileage...year...and from vans with lines run both ways.

If you are do for an oil/filter change, feel free to swap the lines as shown in the diagram posted by Charlie as you do the filter change. If you are not due to change the filters, take no action until further notice. I am very sorry that this has inconvenienced and/or added any stress to an already hectic time!

Again thanks to all the members who continue to provide valuable information and great stories/trip reports as the SMB community continues to grow and thrive!

Jonny
Sportsmobile West is offline   Reply With Quote