Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2012, 07:33 PM   #11

Re: What Axle do I want? 9.75 or 10.5 Full Float

Ultrasport12 I'll check them out and let you know, thanks for the offer. I see you're planning a Ujoint conversion, let me know if you have any questions. If I converted another van there were one or two details that may have been done differently, but U-Joint is definitively the way to go!!

Got sidetracked today and started thinking about doing the Sterling conversion. Found an F350 axle with 4.30 gears and LSD. I just need to find someone local to do some welding for me, could be cheaper in the long run. My original plan called for doing 4.56 gears and LSD in a replacement E350 Full Floater. This of course gets me new parts and a little more piece of mind. But the Sterling has more options with gears and lockers. Well, the E350 axle keeps it simple and no welding. But the Sterling eliminates the spacers. The E350 axle route gets me lower gears. Oh man, this may take a while to decide.

2006 E350 EB, V-10, 6 inch UJoint Offroad 4X4 Conversion, Fiberine Super Camper Top
smugdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:02 PM   #12

Recently bought a Dana 70 FF from Santa Clara TW from a 2006 E350 Cutaway SWR. It is 1 3/4" wider than the original D60 SF with the spacers. I don't think 3/4" on each side makes a difference. It has 4:10's and 32 spline axles. I'll upgrade to ARB Airlocker and 35 Splines. It should be BOMBER. Brakes and tone rings are the same as my 2007. It was $750. Hope this helps.

Paul :
Old 04-06-2012, 08:42 PM   #13

Thanks Paul, that's good info.. Is it the spline count on the axles or RG size that makes the D70 open to more Locker options? I'm trying to educate myself on this stuff.

Paul, What size spacers do you run? I don't think 3/4" would be noticeable.

2006 E350 EB, V-10, 6 inch UJoint Offroad 4X4 Conversion, Fiberine Super Camper Top
Old 04-06-2012, 11:28 PM   #14

The 2" spacer makes the stock axles almost right on. I think you are right about 3/4" not doing much for you. (Any less than a 2" spacer and you have to trim the studs down)
Rear Axle - 1 Ton Spec Dana 60/Full Floating
Eaton E-Lockers Front And Rear/4:10 Gears
ARB Differential Covers - Nodular Iron With Dipstick And Drain Plug
Leaf Spring Suspension Front And Rear
46 Gal Transfer-Flow Fuel Tank
ExtremeAire Magnum Air Compressor
Reunel Rear Bumper
On And On ...
BIGVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #15

I also put a D70 FF from a E350 cutaway under my van. I no longer need the spacers now as the cutaway axle is about 4" or so wider than a regular E-series. The rear tires stick out about an inch more than they did before. Not noticeable.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #16

Quote:
You might try Bill at Santa Clara Truck Wreckers http://www.santaclaratruckwreckers.com/
They are very helpful and Bill is a great guy. Others here have purchased their axles from them and everyone seems to recomend them. They also do lockers and gear set changes. While not that close to you (and possibly a bit pricey) I am sure they can get you just what you want. Let me know if you want me to stop by and look at something for you.
I'd like to echo those comments regarding Bill and SCTW. He is one stand up guy and will not give up on a job until it's right.

I bought a D70 from him a while ago and he put in a new Powr-Lok LSD in it. Long story short, Dana's long time supplier of clutch's for these LSD's either went out of business or discontinued the clutch packs. Dana switched to metallic clutch packs they use in other products and they have a problem of binding in the Powr-Lok LSD's. Since buying the axle from SCTW, it has had the new LSD Bill put in then a replacement clutch pack that Bill put in then another new LSD that Bill put in. It still has the binding problem. I contacted the Product Manger at Dana and he acknowledged a problem with the metallic clutch packs in the Powr-Lok LSD's. He "scrounged" together a clutch pack made from the time tested materials and sent it to me. I'm heading down to SCTW this coming week to have this clutch pack put in ... by Bill.

Two lessons here:

1) Bill is an awesome guy and I wouldn't hesitate getting anything at SCTW. While none of these problems have been as a result of his work, he hasn't charged a penny for all the additional time put into resolving the problem. His sole focus is simply to make it right. Side note, I asked Dana to reimburse him and they said it is not policy. I'll leave my views of that to myself for now. The PM at Dana was very nice in getting the new clutch pack for me.

2) Stay away from a new Powr-Lok LSD's until Dana figures out the clutch thing. If you have one manufactured up to about roughly Q3-2011, you should have the time tested clutch packs.

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #17

Thanks Phil! That's good stuff. I will be giving Bill a call shortly.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #18

Well I finally made up my mind.

The axle you see pictured is a 2006 Sterling(17,000 miles) out of a Super Duty with 4.30 ratio and LS. Chris at UJoint has been patiently helping me make my decision and will provide me with everything necessary for the conversion. I'll keep the process updated for anyone who looking at doing something similar.

Question: Anyone have a good method of measuring for pinion angle or know the pinion angle of our stock axles? I'm guessing that I'll reference the angle from the top of spring perch to the flat of the pinion flange.

Later
Attached Thumbnails
photo 1a.jpg  

Old 06-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #19

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by smugdoug
Question: Anyone have a good method of measuring for pinion angle or know the pinion angle of our stock axles? I'm guessing that I'll reference the angle from the top of spring perch to the flat of the pinion flange.

Later
Easiest way is to use a digital level - measuring off the face of the pinion flange; set the pinion to level and then get your spring perch angle. I'm sure that at is the approach you were taking.

If your van is lifted or has after market springs, you might want to check the the angle of the center line of the crank shaft--->transmission and optimize your new pinion angle to your vehicle. Center lines of output and pinion should be parallel.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:05 PM   #20

BajaSportsmobile, My thought was to just copy my current d60 axle. Yes, the van is lifted 6" but my current angle seems to work just fine, no problems with noise etc. from my driveline. Besides that is what Chris at UJoint said would work.

My thought was with the d60 axle still in the van, get the van level, that is get the spring perches level. It seems like the perches should be parallel to the ground, right? Then just reference the ground under the pinion flange for my angle. Am I missing something. I know the ground under the pinion would have to be level also, and I could use some type of angle finder from there.

Then with the angle I can determine how to locate the new spring perches on the Sterling. I do not weld so I'm having someone in Oceanside who works on axles do the Welding.