Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2015, 12:49 PM   #11

wasn't someone having RSC issues that was linked to an ABS sensor? Just a thought

1997 Jeep Wrangler Lifted / Locked
1997 Mercedes C230
1994 Mercedes SL500
DerPo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:05 PM   #12
Wbp

Well here is an undate on my issues the update is no clear answer to the problem. I checked for codes and look around myself and did not find anything so I took it to my local ford dealer they kept it for two days. They check codes found nothing checked connection, drove it a round and it never did shut down for them. So I spoke with the tech and he suggested he leave his diagnostic recorder hookup to record information when the engine shut down while I drove it around for a few days. We were hoping it would record something that would help in finding the problem so of course I drove it for 6 days over 250 miles and it never shut down. Go figure. So I took the truck back in this morning so they could remove the unit and I spoke with the tech again he showed me all the harness and connections he checked. So the only thing we can figure is that maybe one of the connectors or pins were not making a solid connection and after pulling them apart and checking them that it corrected the issues but time will tell. The guys at the dealership were very helpful and informative I wish they could have found something solid. I drove it around some more today and it is running perfect. Hopefully it is all back to normal.
Wbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:19 PM   #13

Is the van 100% stock?
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:25 AM   #14
Wbp

Ujoint yes as far as the engine is concern it is stock. The only things I have done so far is 2" lift, tires, stabilizer nothing to the engine or dash. The van has 18000 miles on it and I did most of that work when I got it and have put 7000 mile on it before this started happening. I am working on the interior right now and the only thing I have touch in the van is the rear light harness I move a ground from inside van wall to outside behind light.
Bad news is after taking it to dealer and not finding any problem and driving 300 miles with no problem it did it again. Went back to dealer and they took another code download and said they would contact Ford. I am not feeling they are interested in putting much effort out from one of the comments. I am going to see what they come back with and go from from there. I have a local independent shop that has worked on my other cars that said they would be glad to try and find the problem my have to go that direction.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:29 AM   #15

Engine doesn't matter, did you have a tuner installed to adjust for the new tire size after the lift? Just a spacer lift?
ujointoffroad.com
Old 01-06-2016, 07:06 AM   #16
Wbp

Ujoint thanks for responding. No I did not install a tuner I installed a 2" lift kit with new springs, shocks etc. from Larry at Action Van and the tires back in March of last year had no problems since then with over 7000 miles on the new system.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:42 PM   #17

Huh. Odd. Hopefully someone can figure it out. Maybe a fresh alignment will help, or remove and ck the ABS sensors for dirt/debris.
ujointoffroad.com
Old 01-06-2016, 09:24 PM   #18

This may sound weird, but you might want to try cleaning the throttle body.

Your root cause may indeed be an RSC fault, but it should never stall the engine and cause you to lose power steering and brakes. But...if there is any stiction in the electronic throttle body, it can cause accidental stalling. It could simply be trying to limit power because it thinks a tire is losing grip, but stalls because instead. There actually were some TSBs a while back on the E-series throttle body causing similar issues at normal traffic stops, although not RSC related. But, it's an easy item to rule out, and and almost a PM item anyways. Just be sure to fully disconnect all battery power before attempting the service. The motor is strong enough to shop your finger off, and it stays live even when the ignition is off.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:00 AM   #19
Wbp

Thanks for responding guys any help is appreciated. I will follow up with these suggestions I just hope I find a clear problem.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:17 AM   #20
Wbp

Update I had the engine shut down on me again about a week after having it to the dealer. I called the dealer and Ford to try and dig deeper into the problem. Took it back into the dealer they had it a week and working with Ford they came up with some codes they found and replace the instrument cluster. They felt it was causing somekind of issue that maybe related to the shut down. No one can say for certain that it was the cause I think time will tell. Ford covered the repairs under warranty which helps I just wish they could have confirmed the problem but still glad they are working with me to figure it out. So far it is running great at lease I am in Florida on flat straight roads to test it. Ha Ha will keep you posted