Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2019, 01:16 PM   #1

which fluids to you use 7.3 diesel

I have a 7.3 diesel e-350 I'm flushing out some fluids and changing hoses and wanted to get some opinions on what fluids you use. Type/Brands.

Coolant
Power Steering Fluid
Front Differential fluid

Thanks!

Surfvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:32 PM   #2

Brother:

I am not going to answer your questions. But I will point you in the right direction. They are more complicated than they appear.

Coolant: is critical to a diesel and it varies with the year of the van and the wrong coolant will ruin your engine. Read here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...this-7-3l.html

See also:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ntifreeze.html

Power Steering Fluid: Buy the owner's manual for your year van and follow what is listed in the manual. For instance my Bronco uses Ford Type F transmission fluid. I cannot remember what my van uses at the moment.

Front Differential Fluid: So, you have a 4x4 conversion. What fluid was recommended for that differential in the vehicle for which the differential was originally intended. (You may be surprised by what you find. I had the rear differential rebuilt (broken pinion) in my wife's 2000 Dodge Dakota and the rebuilder suggested Valvoline 80w and when I asked him why not synthetic he said that rear differentials don't do well with synthetic. Go figure...)

May I ask you to post up what you find so that we all can learn?
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350 View Post
Brother:

I am not going to answer your questions. But I will point you in the right direction. They are more complicated than they appear.

Coolant: is critical to a diesel and it varies with the year of the van and the wrong coolant will ruin your engine. Read here:

See also:

Power Steering Fluid: Buy the owner's manual for your year van and follow what is listed in the manual. For instance my Bronco uses Ford Type F transmission fluid. I cannot remember what my van uses at the moment.

Front Differential Fluid: So, you have a 4x4 conversion. What fluid was recommended for that differential in the vehicle for which the differential was originally intended. (You may be surprised by what you find. I had the rear differential rebuilt (broken pinion) in my wife's 2000 Dodge Dakota and the rebuilder suggested Valvoline 80w and when I asked him why not synthetic he said that rear differentials don't do well with synthetic. Go figure...)

Thanks for the info!! Yeah I will absolutely post what I decide on doing. Ive got a few other things that I’m working on and need to share my findings on those topics as well.. Ultimately I’ll put together a build thread that references each of the threads I’ve started as well. Thanks again.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350 View Post
Brother:

See also:

Do you have any recommendations as to where I can obtain a manual? I've done some google searches with little luck. The previous owner had the "Haynes Repair Manual" with the vehicle but that appears to be for gas engines.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:43 AM   #5

owners manual? I have a 98 7.3 and can try and take a look
bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:59 AM   #6

What is year of your van?
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:04 AM   #7

It is a 1998
bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:17 AM   #8

My van is a 2002 and looks like it has different coolant requirements than the 1999. Due to E350's thread suggestion I found a guy named Gooch on a ford Diesel thread who appears to be the authority on coolant. I'm going to do a coolant flush and follow his procedure here:

https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums...ctions-163800/

I'll be using one of his extended life coolant recommendations based on local availability. Fleetrite ELC, Shell Rotella ELC, CAT ELC, Chevron Delo ELC, Peak Final Charge, Prestone Heavy Duty ELC, Zerex Extreme Heavy Duty, etc.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:27 AM   #9

bemerritt: Got it. I was asking about the year of Surfvan's van.

Surfvan: I admire your enthusiasm and your inquisitiveness. You will need both to maintain and to improve your van. If your van's "gas" tank has not yet been replaced, you have a cancer in your van which you may not be aware of. Please read here and replace your tank before doing anymore work on your van:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...fuel-tank.html

There is a Czech guy in Sacto. who is a friend of a Czech friend of mine who welds stainless steel fuel tanks for a living. After I finish the diagnosis of my van (which I have been ignoring for years) and after I flush the entire fuel system from the pump out the ports in the head, if all is good, I will see how much he wants to build a tank to my specs.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:31 AM   #10

Ok Surfvan: I thought so. I have every oem shop manual you will ever need for your van. I also have the NGS to diagnose your van. But you cannot borrow them.

I am looking forward to getting my van back together. And would love some free help if I have some free time and if you are willing to drive your van to South County (Courtland).

Don't insulate any of the parts you labeled in your thread. Only insulate the inside of the dog house.