Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2015, 06:22 PM   #1

Garage
110 Water Heater plumbed to engine?

I was thinking it would be cool if I coul use engine heat to warm the water while driving . I have a 2 gallon tank. Has anyone done this? I thought a heat exchanger with an additional pump to move water.

What about same idea but with a solar option? A black piece of PVC somewhere? It seems that I have this great heat vessel and only one way to heat it. I know someone tried adding 12v, but I want to use the free heat in the engine.

I know many have talked about pressure in the tank, but could work out an external pressure release so there is no build up.

TexGX

2006 Casita (Makes it a three bedroom 1 and 1/2 bath)
TexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:23 PM   #2

Re: 110 Water Heater plumbed to engine?

A 110v water heater will have a pressure and temperature (P&T) relief valve built into it and they all have the same ratings. You can look at the one in your home or on the 110v heater you plan to use for the rating. You will need a double wall heat exchanger iwith a pump on the water heater side. You could use a gravity circulation but I doubt you would be able to get enough height differential in the van. It would also be good to have a solenoid valve on the engine side to prevent water from entering the heat exchanger when you do not want it to. Temperature control is from the heat control slider on the dashboard.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:30 PM   #3

One issue to consider is that coolant temp in modern vehicles is above the boiling point of water (this increases the engine's thermal efficiency)........like 240 deg F..........

Your typical hot water heater is set at less than 130 deg F to prevent scalding......if you use a coolant heat exchanger you need to have some sort of temperature limiting to prevent the T/P valve from opening and to prevent scalding.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:49 PM   #4

Garage

Good points. I wonder about having a switch for the pump so you could turn it on for just a monument before camping. I need to research further. I might just need to switch heaters all together.

TexGX
Old 05-31-2015, 07:23 AM   #5

Found this thread over at Expidition Portal, http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... ter+heater. It has a number of examples showing on board hot water systems.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:31 AM   #6

Garage

Thanks Larrie,

I found some good ideas.

TexGX
Old 05-31-2015, 09:03 AM   #7

110v water heaters for boats also have heat exchangers. I know the one in my boat runs off the starboard engine. They are really bulky though, and they draw a truckload of current when on 110. Personally I would stick with propane. Cheap and works well.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote