Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-24-2008, 04:58 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cody, wyoming
Posts: 6
Acrid interior air problem

I just came back from a rugged 4 day trip to the Big Horns. The next day I got into the passenger's seat and was overcome by a very strong acrid air that brought on instant coughing. It was sort of like the time I mixed bleach with amonia. I'm thinking maybe battery acid but there is no damage under. Any ideas before I start pulling things apart?
__________________

letrbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:07 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Greg In Austin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,545
Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Do you carry any pepper or bear spray?
__________________

__________________
Greg in Austin
2008 Ford 6.0PSD EB/E-PH SMB 4X4 Aluminess f/r bumpers (13.5mpg avg, 15mpg hwy) 52k miles [Texas McBeast]
2006 Toyota Prius (48 to 68 mpg) 120k miles [Penelope]
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
http://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:29 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
jage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Franktown, CO
Posts: 7,599
Inside? Before or after turning on the vents/air?
__________________
and then
everything changed
jage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:03 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cody, wyoming
Posts: 6
Acrid

Bear spray yes, but it's ok and the smell is not cayenne.
Before turning anything one.
letrbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:47 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
kmessinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Posts: 489
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger
There does not have to be damage for it to be the battery. If the acid has been boiling or the battery is dry you will smell rotten eggs, sometimes bad enough to make you sick.

Keith
__________________
2008 2500 Sportsmobile West conversion, badged Mercedes, 22B package, accessory group, adjustable idle control, sway bar upgrade, koni shocks, daily drive.
kmessinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:41 PM   #6
Site Team
 
daveb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Turlock Ca
Posts: 9,832
Garage
Sounds like refrigerant smell. Seems strange that you smelled it after the rig was parked. I don’t actually know what is used these days for the refrigerator and I might be wrong but I would look into that. If your batteries are off gassing they should be warm. This happened to me when I was charging off shore power but the batteries got warm while driving also. With multiple batteries tied together it might be possible that a bad battery could “fight” the good ones and off gas while just sitting.
DaveB
__________________

__________________
2006 Ford 6.0PSD EB-50/E-PH SMB 4X4 Rock Crawler Trailer

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sportsmobile SIP or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×