Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #11
Dia

Re: Adding rear seats to a cargo van?

Yup, that's about how it'll go.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #12

Long time lurker, first time poster but I just pulled the trigger on a very similar van. The one you're looking at is much cleaner though. I had similar desire s and need to haul my 3 kids safely, and I'd like to have room for grandparents or the extra friend that always gets lumped in.

Mine in a 2003 with a sliding door but it had one key thing I really wanted. Quigley 4x4. Mine was a gov used for hauling prisoners or something so it has a few weird thing I will be fixing. I'm sad the leftover button labeled 'shotgun release' isn't going to anything any more.

I'm finding there are lots of aftermarket suppliers for seats and hardware. Even all the mounting points.

Just after purchasing mine I found a full set(driver, passenger, 2 captains chairs and a sofa bed) of chariot conversion Van seats that I took out of a wrecked express van. I spent some time at the junkyard pulling as many of the brackets, belts, baking plates and other hardware. I wasn't able to get all of what I needed so I'll be replacing some of what I couldn't get new or fabricating some.
Atwoodmobile.com has the seat styles that I have and I'll be using some of their brackets to replace what I could not get. Also discountvantruck.com.

Some challenges I see now, any bracket that will be placed over the exhaust will have to go between the heat shield and floor. It'll be tricky but I've found some video that show a way to move an upper mounting bracket but drilling your hole. Then threading a string or wire through the same hole on the bracket. Pull the bracket up tight, place the bolt (s)
That hold the bracket in place, then remove the string or wire and place the primary bolt in place securing whatever item it is.

Sorry if it's wordy. But if you do it, I'll be intrigued to see how our different vans turn out.
stevengines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 04:39 PM   #13

Hello! I'm reading this thread with interest. I know it's an older one but hoping someone will reply.

We're looking at a similar scenario: Can we add a third bench to make a GMC Savana into a 12 passenger instead of its current 8-pax status?

Obviously it CAN be done.

But the real question we have - before we bite the bullet & just buy the thing already - is: is it legal? If we get another bench from the junkyard & bracket it as safely as we can, are there any potential difficulties with insurance or registration or whatever?
mltk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 07:35 AM   #14

I installed mine using the same parts and brackets from atwood that they add to their conversion vans.

It's as safe as the "premium" vans in my book. I told my insurance it was a passenger van when I got it and haven't thought about it since.

I think the newer ones have added some more safety features but I don't think they are required.

If I ever sell mine I'll be clear with the new owner about it. But I don't expect any problems.
stevengines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 12:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mltk
Hello! I'm reading this thread with interest. I know it's an older one but hoping someone will reply.

We're looking at a similar scenario: Can we add a third bench to make a GMC Savana into a 12 passenger instead of its current 8-pax status?

Obviously it CAN be done.

But the real question we have - before we bite the bullet & just buy the thing already - is: is it legal? If we get another bench from the junkyard & bracket it as safely as we can, are there any potential difficulties with insurance or registration or whatever?
If you have an 8-pax GM van, that means you probably have a 1500 series. Carrying 12 passengers in a 1500 GM van will most likely put it over GVWR, RAWR, and maybe even the rear tire ratings.

If you have a 2500, then there really isn't any legal problems as long as they are installed to industry standard. Short version of that is: -Seats are anchored to stay in a crash, lap-belt anchors must be able to withstand 5,000 pounds per anchor, and 3-pt seatbelt @ 3,000 pounds per anchor.

As for insurance... you'll have to check with them. My current policy doesn't have any exclusion for modifications. I did have a cheapo online policy at one point that made made exclusions, to the point I realized I may have been effectively uninsured in my van so that's why I've switched back to the trusted carriers even though they cost a few bucks more each month.