Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2009, 09:38 PM   #11

Re: Advice on installing a car seat using goucho seat in our SMB

"A surprising note is that it appears car seat use is not required in vehicles over 8500 lbs: "...NHTSA has decided to limit the applicability of the rule to passenger cars and to MPVs and trucks with a GVWR of 3,856 kg (8,500 lb) or less..." [Above link, Section VII, letter F.] Obviously I would still use a seat but I guess it could be used as a ticket defense if it ever came to that..."

I believe NHTSA is just saying that OEM's do not have to provide a 3 point child seat restraining system in vehicles over 8,500lbs. OEM's (Ford, GM, BMW,...etc) provide per Federal law the systems. Each individual State laws provide the detail. State laws still have special restraint requirements for children in all motor vehicles irrespective of vehicle weight.

General restraint laws by state:
http://www.iihs.org/laws/SafetyBeltUse.aspx

Child restraint laws by states:
http://www.iihs.org/laws/childrestraint.aspx

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:54 PM   #12

Garage

Thanks so much for the additional information everyone (especially the links) it's been very helpful. Surfgeek33 would love to have a copy of the list your wife is making on things you bring on trips and tips to keep the kiddos happy.

Mrs. TwoLost

Cheers,
---Bruce--- (epic-exposure.com/albums/adventure/)
twolost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:20 AM   #13

I went to the CHP office to discuss upgrading my seat belts on my sideways gaucho's. I asked if I could use a booster seat with a 5 point harness, as it would be better than just a lap belt. NO! YOU CANNOT use a car seat/ booster seat in a sideways manner(ILLEGAL).

After much research and contimplation over legal and safety issues, this is what I came up with. I decided to add 3 point Corbeau harnesses to the sideways gaucho's. How did I get here? I was going to replace with DOT Schroth harnesses, but law says you have to keep the original factory installed belts with the harnesses, and could not install the harnesses properly according to Schroth intructions. This would render them non DOT. I have to keep the originals DOT anyways, so why not go with any harness that would mount up better. This brought me to the Corbeau 3 point retractable harnesses. Old belts keeps everything DOT, but harnesses add more safety with the shoulder straps, while leaving some mobility with the retractable part. The only question will be how effective the retractable part will be(if will lock appropriatly). If not will just use a fixed tail.

I also came to the conclusion that because of how sue happy people are that I will get waivers for all kids who travel in my van for the sideways seats (Sucks).
Old 12-20-2009, 12:55 AM   #14

What about adding a seat belt to the rear portion of the gaucho, in a forward facing position? (As if a person were to sit there facing forward.) You could then use this seat belt through any standard child seat, forward or backwards facing.

Or maybe having SMB install, at this same position, a child seat bar / bracket under the gaucho that you would use in a conventional manner.
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote