Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2019, 12:44 AM   #1

Air Conditioner & Bed thoughts

I have a non-functional A/C in my van that pretty much got trashed when prev. Owner removed EVERYTHING formerly connected to the propane system. Now trying for solar, so the less item, the
better. Has anyone ever removed one of these suckers? It’s rather large, and I have better uses for
the space it takes up!
I’d also like to extend my “ bed” /couch by a few inches in length and width, while makeing it lighter.
Need to be able to lift the thing....so I want to put in hinges and lift assist. It’s current the original bed, with a heavy plywood base. I’d like to have memory
foam on a lighter base. Any ideas would be hugely appreciated!
All for now,
ConnieKat

ConnieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 04:52 AM   #2
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Pictures of what you have now would probably be very helpful here.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:09 AM   #3

Is it a SMB Starcool?
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:30 AM   #4

A/C

Yes it is a StarCool A/C! Utterly useless too. Just takes up room I could better use for other things.
Prev. Owner removed the entire propane system, including hoses, plus the stove and heating.
Now trying to rig solar and batts to support a few
replacement items in electric. Have some useful items in mind for use in different weather ( cold or hot), and for cooking soups, eggs etc. and possibly a slightly larger fridge, and replace current water heater.
Also replacing lighting with LEDs everywhere. Any suggestions anywhere would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 02-04-2019, 05:42 AM   #5

After a bit of tweaking and attention from a good local auto A/C shop my Starcool works great! Don’t necessarily assume it’s not worth keeping. Might be an easy fix.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:28 AM   #6

For the bed, a nice piece of 3/4" plywood (maple) has worked for me in terms of being strong enough. I also cut it to 78" and put a 3" memory foam on it.

Would need some mods to make it work in terms of raising it though
bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:29 AM   #7
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieKat View Post
Yes it is a StarCool A/C! Utterly useless too. Just takes up room I could better use for other things.
Prev. Owner removed the entire propane system, including hoses, plus the stove and heating.
Now trying to rig solar and batts to support a few
replacement items in electric. Have some useful items in mind for use in different weather ( cold or hot), and for cooking soups, eggs etc. and possibly a slightly larger fridge, and replace current water heater.
Also replacing lighting with LEDs everywhere. Any suggestions anywhere would be appreciated.
Thanks
Starcool models usually have ducting in the SMB cabinets. IIRC the Ford aux air conditioner is a large unit that is mounted inside by the rear wheel well. The air outlets & ducting are different.

The Starcool 110vAC compressor is mounted outside under the vehicle (if you have that model) which takes up space. If the 110v compressor works it could be worth something to somebody. The 12v DC part of the Starcool (fan & condenser) is mounted inside typically under a cabinet. That too would be worth something if it's salvageable. I agree with Brian to make sure it's toast before ripping it out.

So what kind of water heater are you planning to put in?

LED lighting is almost a must. Just find a brightness that works for you. I prefer a softer light at night if I'm lounging around but like a more brilliant white light for cooking. Worth looking into 12 LED dimmers.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0699.jpg  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:51 PM   #8

It appears that the whole A/C unit is inside the van, mounted on top of my tiny fridge. Definitely takes up a lot of space inside the van! This was designed by a
Wilson from Tennessee in 2005, as his second SMB,
and he was moving on to a 3rd one. One of them had
a full sized bed in the back, but all 3 have had bathrooms, including mine. The girl who had it before me had cancer and lived in it....so stripped everything assoc. with propane system OUT. Even hoses! Far too expensive to put back in, so am limited to plug-in or solar. One reason I prefer the A/C gone! But thanks!