Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2009, 09:53 PM   #1

Air Conditioning

Hi,

I am considering a SMB conversion would like some feedback on the roof mount Air Conditioning versus Danhard under the chassis Air conditioning- A/C noise, wind noise, effect on milage, does it cool the van, etc?

Thanks,

Sinbad

Old 09-07-2009, 11:13 AM   #2

Re: Air Conditioning

Sinbad, FWIW, our "classic" '93 Sporty has the original, roof-top AC (don't believe they still use the same manufacturer). Of course, it requires high-wattage a.c. and thus only works on shore power or using the on-board Onan generator. As to mileage, I'm sure that having something sticking up on top increase drag, but then so does having something sticking down under the van if it goes below what's otherwise there. We haven't detected any bothersome wind noise. The AC is of course audible when running, but the noise is steady and not annoying (at least to us - wish I could say the same about the Onan). The AC alone is not sufficiently loud to bother any other folks who may be camped nearby. The unit is very good at cooling and pretty good at heating. Hope this helps; I'm looking forward to the comments of other Forum members about their experiences.
1972 Mercedes 350SL with 4.5l V-8, just because
Wag more, Bark less, Play well with others.
Psomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:12 PM   #3

Re: Air Conditioning - DC Airco sounds like a good option

I travel to dog shows and am looking for air to keep the dogs cool when needed. The DC Airco runs on 12 V and low power consumption. It is designed for truckers and sounds like a good option. Anyone heard about it?
PlumPerfect is offline   Reply With Quote