Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2008, 07:38 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to bgoetting
Another newbie question - bed lenght

My friend with the RB says "get EB because the bed is longer". Apparently his feet hang over tho he's only 5'10". Is the EB bed longer?

Old 11-02-2008, 10:23 PM   #2

It's your decisison about how long to make your bed. If you want to sleep width-wise, i.e., your head and feet at the opposite side walls, then the bed size is limited by the width of the interior walls of the van. If you sleep length-wise, then the bed length is only limited by what else you put inside the van.

Since the EB is longer than the RB, there's more room for a length-wise bed.

We have an EB with length-wise beds, and mine's about 76," plenty enough for my 6'1" bod. My wife's a bit shorter, and so's her bed.

Check out the diagrams on the SMB site for an idea of your options.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:30 AM   #3

I don't think the bed is actually longer in the EB vs RB (comparing 50 models) there is more counter space, and more space between the bench and the side door pantry. This allows you to, in the EB move the bed forward, which I've seen in some used 50s.

Having lived in it the bed is plenty big lengthwise for me 6' and my wife 5'11", however I would slide it towards the front of the van a few inches because foot or arm space between the bed and the rear doors is lacking. Nothing worth getting a new van over, just a minor peeve.

It's also almost exactly the same size as a full size matress if you want to experiment.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:04 AM   #4

I am 5'10" like your friend. I find the bed length in our RB 50 to be fine for me. I re read your post and it doesn't say how tall you are. However, if you are very tall, I think I remember reading on the Sportsmobile site that in the EB 50 they can extend the length of the bed and make it whatever you want. There are many reasons to consider an RB over an EB or an EB over an RB but if you are under 6' I think you will find the bed in the RB satisfactory and use the scarce extra space for something else. oclv
oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:13 AM   #5

Even in the RB it would be pretty easy to swing the pantry out of the way and support your feet/head on something on the passenger side of the bed.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:11 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Could it be that the question is really about a Penthouse Bed?
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:20 PM   #7

Is the PH bed longer in an EB?
Old 11-03-2008, 04:15 PM   #8

The penthouse bed can be any length that you want....just order it that way. The only limitation is that it can't be so long that you can't hook it to the penthouse ceiling during the day or so long that you can't get into it from below with the bed down.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:16 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to bgoetting
My question was referring to the lower bed but I've since scrutinized the sportsmobile RB and EB plans and found a partial answer.

I'm looking at a used SMB quigley RB which has plan 41 but the gaucho is only 66" long, similar to plan 42. When the 66" gaucho is used, there is a 9" extension cushion that is used with it. That doesn't exist with this unit according to the owners so the bed is only 66" long. Maybe that's the way they did it in MY2002. I wonder if I can add an extension cushion but where would I stow it? I just can't imagine my 6' self sleeping on a bed thats 5.5 ' long. I guess I can sleep upstairs!
Old 11-03-2008, 07:57 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
OT... but can't the overall length of the PH bed be longer in an EB due to the fixed rear shelf's adding length to the bed ??

We have a center aisle EB. The PH bed is much longer than my 6ft. My feet do not hang off the end at all.

Our gaucho also has an extension that flips up and makes it just over 6ft in length. I have not slept on the gaucho to this point, only the 12 yr old has used the gaucho for a bed.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote