Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2008, 09:51 AM   #1

Any memory foam recommendations?

I've read some posts here indicating that memory foam really makes the sofa and penthouse beds more comfortable. Any particular brands or products that work well? I'm looking for a 1 to 2" thick foam that has a protective cover and can roll up when not in use. I found some from Big Agnes, but they're a bit too narrow.

Thanks,

Old 11-19-2008, 11:20 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
I think you have the thickness about right..... We added some to the PHT bed, but our gaucho is plenty comfortable without it.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:17 PM   #3

We bought the Costco Full Size. The only complaint is the cover is top and sides, so when folded over the bottom is exposed. We use it on the 50 bed and it's awesome. Very soft however, might need a stiffer memory foam for the PH bed.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:31 PM   #4

We bought one for the lower bed in the EB 50 and it does make a big difference. We leave the sheets on it and fold it in half when not using the bed. That way all we have to do is unfold it and we are ready for bed. We bought if from Overstock.com and it did come with a cover that is the same as the Costco and only covers the top and sides. The one we ordered was a little to wide so we used an electric knife to cut it to fit.

John
Old 11-19-2008, 03:36 PM   #5

Garage
I use 1" in the PH. Lot's of pads cheap on ebay. I trimmed it to fit and I fold it over once before lowering the roof and there's no clearance problems.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:50 PM   #6

Re: Any memory foam recommendations?

John and Dana ,
I am need of the memory Foam Pad for the SportsMobile now as my wife's back is not doing well on extended trips using the Therma Rest Pads that have served us so well . I need to know if you purchased the 2" or the 3' thickness and was your pad the 3 pound or the 4 pound weight . I plan to trim it as you did because we love the fresh air provided when sleeping on the penthouse bed . Any help or suggestion's that you or other forum Member's might have would be very appreciated . Thank you
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:43 PM   #7

My wife has severe bad problems so we put down wide Thermorest pads first and then a 2" thick memory foam with a fiberbed mattress topper. The memory foam is a twin mattress size (yes, two of use sleep on a twin bed) with a twin fitted bottom sheet and a full top sheet. We also use a full fleece blanket and a full down comforter. (Our arms can stick out on the sides and this way they will stay under the covers.) We store the memory foam and pillows in one large duffel topper and the blanket and comforter fit in a slightly smaller duffel...the topper stays on the penthouse. Together, this makes a very comfortable bed and after finally getting the right combination, we bought a new "hard" mattress for home use and duplicated the setup (without the Thermorest pads though).

We also made up a piece of foam covered with fabric to match the SMB interior that goes at the end of the bed under our pillows...the combination of memory foam, etc. was resulting in our pillows being too "low". This also stays in the penthouse when the top is down.

The only change we make with the seasons is to switch from flannel sheets in the cool and winter months to cotton sheets during the rest of the year.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:16 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33

Gregg,

you can try this one from overstock.com

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden.../product.html?

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 01:27 AM   #9

Send a message via ICQ to jlrray Send a message via AIM to jlrray Send a message via MSN to jlrray Send a message via Yahoo to jlrray

We bought a full size from costco then trimmed it to fit the top. We got the 2" one. The difference is like night and day. Or the difference between HELLA 500's and HID lights. You get the picture. Get a bigger side and cut it if you like. We also got a twin size and it fits BETWEEN the PHT support bars. It would be nicer to go with a bigger size and trim.

Joe
jlrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:00 AM   #10

We also got the full size from Costco, it is the best. Now our SMB is just like our home mattress. The Full size fits the bottom bed perfectly.