Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2018, 10:32 AM   #1

Garage
Anyone got a Campapotti XG?

My 15 year old 585 electric pooped out and I am looking to replace with something equivalent but not electric. Boy is it hard to get good consistent info on these things, even from Thetford.

For me it's between the 550p and the Campapotti XG. I found a comment on one page that said the 550 was 2" taller than the specs said. My cabinet doesn't have that much space to spare. I'm having a hard time finding any in the Salt Lake area to even look at.

If anyone's got either of these potti's and they can measure them for me with a tape I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks!
Scott

Makalu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:23 PM   #2

Garage
Hi Scott,

Sorry, I don't have any answers to your questions, but I am curious why you are not interested in getting another electric flush potti? Also, what are the size constraints that you're working with? The reason I ask is because the Curve is a great unit, and at 17-5/8" tall, maybe it would work for you? We bought the electric flush Curve a couple of years ago and I'm still using the same batteries that we first put in it. We camp about 1-2 times per month and have done so for the last couple of years and it's been flawless.

Kurt
capnkurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:51 PM   #3

Garage
Kurt, it's all about size. My kitchen layout gives me 17 inches high and both of Thetford's current electric models like Curve are LISTED as too tall. My old 585 came with the 2001 van I bought 2 years ago and worked fine until a month ago when the motor simply died. Nice unit, and like you said the batteries lasted forever. Of course there are no replacement parts for that. But back to size. One comment on the 550p model was that it was 2" taller than the specs said- 2"! So how the hell am I supposed to know how big it actually is? Calling Thetford was pretty much an exercise in futility. My old 585 model Thetford specs say it's 15.5 high x 17 1/8 long x 15.5 wide, but it's actually more like 16x17x15. These are significant differences and there's no excuse for such shoddy measuring by Thetford. Someone else suggested that it's pretty hard for anything to go wrong with a bellows water pump and the size is close to my old 585 so I'm after the XG. Now if I can just find one.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:55 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makalu1 View Post
I'm having a hard time finding any in the Salt Lake area to even look at.
Scott
Probably stating the obvious, but have you tried visiting an RV Dealer to see what they have available on-hand? Most have some sort of parts dept - would assume you have several of those around.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:06 AM   #5

Garage
Thanks Two, I tried a few places In SLC and found a couple but not much that fit the space. I think I'm going to chance it and buy online from cabelas. By the way, the RV places were remarkably uninformed about the products and little selection. Thanks for the tip though.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:13 PM   #6

I can't add actual real world recommendations, however, Dometic may have what you need. They have 2 cassette style toilet product lines, the 960 Series and the 970 series. I didn't dig too deep, but it appears that the 960 Series is the traditional bellows style flush system, whereas the 970 uses a pressure style flush. It appears that there is a way to pump up the pressure in the fresh water tank so that when you go to flush you simply press a button and the pressure forces the flush to happen. So that may be the best of both worlds, a single button press to flush, but no batteries.

Also, they have several different toilets in each series, of varying sizes and capacities.

Again, I can't speak to real world performance, but there are specs and very thorough user manuals for each variant of the toilets. Just may be an alternate route for you to research.

Dometic Toilets