Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2010, 11:14 AM   #1

Appliances

Has anyone had a SMB built but supplied some of the appliances, such as a tv or microwave, to Sportsmobile (instead of buying it through them)? Does this make any sense financially or is it not worth it?

joerosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Appliances

The price of things like the microwave are installed price. That usually covers wiring, installing it in the cabinet inclosure as such. What you need to ask them is how much will you charge me to install the item. I'm sure SMB gets a cost cut to resale like a store but I don't know what the mark up is. What might cost you more is when you ask them to install something different in some way than what they offer. It will take longer because it's out of the ordinary.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:03 PM   #3

hey joerosh - i'm having one built as i type this at SMB west. I'm supplying my own fridge, Isotherm Cruise 65 with ASU in place of the Norcold standard that comes with the RB-50 plan. I'm also supplying some cabover running lights they will install, and a different CB antenna mounted differently than they normally do.

Nothing is a problem .. you can have the parts shipped to SMB c/o your project manager. The PM is supposed to open and check contents of item shipped. In the case of the fridge, PM said he would also plug in and make sure it works. Fridge is in transit so we'll see.

As far as a fridge, which replaces an existing item, you must make sure the item you pick will fit by comparing specs. I did that, and then sent specs to PM to concur and agree would be no problem. He did that, and I get credit for "delete fridge minus install". Of course, they don't warranty the part, just the labor.

Lastly, the reason i supplied the fridge replacement model info is that i've learned on this forum more people, inc me, will always ask "what was it and why". the "why" is because it's a much quieter, more efficient fridge with better interior layout than the norcold ... but it costs more than double with ASU (auto shut-off)
warholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:33 PM   #4

Plus the Norcolds suck.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:53 PM   #5

hey jage -
i don't know squat from shinola but from countless research on this forum one can deduce ( ) which stock items suck or at least to improve upon if possible.

Another example - LED lights - I got all the replacement part numbers from forum and rdy to go. No need to give to SMB - i'll just swap 'em out myself. But MAN, do they reduce the amperes load.
warholic is offline   Reply With Quote