Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2018, 12:45 PM   #1

Atwood water heater as a furnace?

Hi, I'm thinking of using a water heater with heat exchanger for engine hookup but connecting a computer water cooling system to it to use it as a furnace also.

Something like this:
water heater: https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Water-He...d/AT96136.html
Pump+ reservoir: XSPC Laing DDC Reservoir Pump Attachment w/ MCP-350/355 (No Fittings) - FrozenCPU.com
Radiator: Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta Dual 120mm Radiator (14181) - FrozenCPU.com

Plus a couple of low noise fans and a speed controller

Disadvantages:
-The location of the heat exchanger in the water heater is ideal to give energy to the water on the tank and not to take from it, water would be cooler at the bottom.
-Custom setup, may run into issues.
-¿Performance? ¿low heat output?

Advantages:
-Way cheaper than a truma, espar or anything like that.
-Less noise and space than a tradicional furnace.
-1 hole less in the van.
-Simpler to fix or replace than other options.

I have owned a truck camper with a furnace before, i was the smallest furnace in the market, i think it was 12.000 btu and it was way to much for where i camp, i hated the noise it run for just a couple of minutes every hour or so and it always woke me up.

Has anyone tried this?
Opinions?

Thanks.

Francisco Coddou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:34 PM   #2

Since it sounds like you already have propane for the water heater I would suggest just adding a small sealed combustion heater like the Propex HS2000 for your air heating needs.

The Propex will supply about 6500 BTU/hr, is quiet, efficient, and probably smaller than the radiator, fans, pump, controller, piping, and other materials necessary to convert your water heater to air heating purposes.

Moreover the Propex can be used completely independently of the water heater, including during the winter months when the water heater is drained for freeze protection and air heating is perhaps most needed.

https://www.propexheatsource.com/hea...s2000-furnace/
PeteM is offline   Reply With Quote