Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2014, 05:07 PM   #1

Best bets for fixing the old rear AC unit?

I have an '95 SMB thats new to me as on last April (I got some great advice here on evaluating it for purchase - thanks again!)
We immediately put it to good use and drove for an 8 week cross country trip from Oregon out to NC and back again.
Unfortunately out in Indiana - the old in-cabinet Dometic AC unit cracked its drip pan / evaporator casing and leaked water soaking the carpet. We managed as best we could with towels all the way to my families place in NC.

There we went to an Auto AC place and had then empty the system of freon so we could take it apart and fix the black plastic case. (its so jammed in this cabinet that you'd have to remove it to do anything) v
But in the process of trying to take it out of the cabinet - it seems that the freon brass / aluminum connection is just corroded beyond repair and beyond unscrewing.
So if we try to disconnect it we're going to break the connection on the soft aluminum of the evaporator.
So we gave up - put it all back together and figured we'd get home to OR to deal with it.

To add insult to injury - during the drive the fan casing maybe cracked - because we went from a leaking AC to totally busted sounds like nails on a chalk board screeching AC.
Fortunately for the dogs we didn't need it.

But now as summer approached I need to get it fixed.
I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for places or ways to get it repaired?
Preferably in Oregon or Washington - but I'll go to SMB if I need to.
I'm terribly afraid they're going to say I have to replace the whole thing.
Thanks in advance for any help

Dorothy

dorothyt7 is offline   Reply With Quote