Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2014, 07:16 PM   #21
Site Team

Garage
Re: Best water jugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
Ok, I think it is this one:

https://www.relianceproducts.com/produc ... on/79.html

I think 2 of them fit exactly inside the top rails of the Aluminess baja box.
I like the shape of those, but I've probably had a dozen or so over the last 10 years and all of them have spring leaks after a while (not to mention the POS spouts which always crack at the base).

The do have a jerry can style water jug now which is infinitely more durable, except it still has the same spout
Don

Agreed that they fit conveniently on the Aluminess box. Campmor sells replacement spigots though it would be nicer if they weren't POS: http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___80838

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:09 AM   #22

I was just looking through he Front Runner Outfitters site and came accross some other interesting water container configurations.

This one is 10 gallons but is 45"x23"x2.5" so it slides in behind the front seat:
http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/wa ... AqwJmt5mSM

I may pick up one of these for my jeep. *Fits in the foot well behind the front seats. *Great use of that space and helps keep the center of gravity low in the vehicle:
http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/wa ... AqwZmt5mSM
Old 09-06-2014, 12:18 PM   #23

I bought one of the flat FrontRunner water containers. It is a great idea, but I could never figure out a way to put it in the van b/c it would be in the way or on the roof (because too big, heavy and awkward). I ended up giving it to my friend who has an FJ Trooper and he ended up rigging it into his vehicle, but he just uses the front seat for driving and the rest of the vehicle is not living space or sleeping space.
Vanagogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:33 PM   #24

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

We have Scepter MWCs. We are sticking with the real Scepter's and not the clones because the clones are missing some of the Scepter design elements.

The nice part is that the MWCs can still be purchased directly from Canada; it is only the MFCs that have the CARB restrictions (of course).
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:56 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg In Austin
We have Scepter MWCs. We are sticking with the real Scepter's and not the clones because the clones are missing some of the Scepter design elements.
Greg, do you have a summary of the differences between the Canadian and US (LCI) versions? Or is there an online source that details the variations?

And do you find a noticeable difference between the US and Canadian builds in everyday usage?

Thanks
PeteM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:36 AM   #26

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

I don't remember where I first heard about the differences, but then I took a look in person.

I think the dimensions are the same.

I think the material is slightly different, with LCI being ultimately a softer material. (I think this only shows up in higher and lower temps)

The big thing I remember was around the mouth, the cap, and the vent. It seems like there were threads missing in one spot on the LCI mouth.

Does the LCI have the vent on the cap? it seems like something was different there also.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:02 PM   #27

Looking at the 10 Liter Blue MWC that I purchased from Lexington Container's online store this summer, the mold markings say Scepter, then Canada and the Canadian maple leaf symbol immediately below. The material doesn't feel at all soft at room temperatures.

The wide mouth cap contains both a threaded pour spout and a threaded vent. A locking retainer ring on the wide mouth cap both keeps the cap from getting lost and prevents the cap from loosening after the tab clicks past the retaining notch.

Do the LCI versions still get stamped with Scepter and Canada? Or perhaps LCI sells some Canadian produced MWC units directly on their website?
Old 09-16-2014, 06:43 AM   #28

I don't think they are selling the Scepter product, or at least they didn't used.

And I agree, at normal temps the material did seem to be the same (the observation on the material is not mine, but from one of the comparison reviews I found way back when)

I know the external marking were the same when I looked a couple of years back.

The cap sounds the same; I was remembering something missing there. The MFCs have internal and external threads on the mouth, does the MWC also?
Old 09-16-2014, 07:18 PM   #29

Looking at Scepter's Canadian water container product site they show certain models, specifically the 10 gallon olive green and sand color versions, as being available in separate US DOD, Canadian DND, and Danish DANO spec versions. Whereas some 2.5 gallon containers and all Blue color MWCs have only a single version for all countries.

http://civ.sceptermilitary.com/water...ntainer_table/

Given Department of Defense procurement requirements it makes sense that US DOD versions would have to be manufactured in the USA. And alternately that would also explain why my 2.5 gallon Blue container, and presumably all other non country-specific models, have the Scepter logo and made in Canada mold markings despite being sold on Lexington's US website.

Scepter water containers only have spout threads on outside. But JAGMTE, a third party MWC accessory supplier, sells internally tapped caps and accessory spouts. They have both LCI and Scepter modified caps but only the US DOD color caps are available for LCI, and the blue caps are only available from Scepter. That, combined with the manufacturing markings, appears to be further evidence that all Blue MWC water containers will be Canadian sourced Scepters.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:35 PM   #30

I don't think there has been any DoD requirement for the MFCs or MWCs to be 'Made in the USA'. In fact, since most MFCs are used outside the USA, they would not need to meet any USA specs such as CARB.

I just looked at the LCI site for the first time in a long time (probably 2 years), and it certainly now looks like they are selling Scepter products. In the past they did not have the Scepter logo on their site. No question that the old product was different, but it looks like they are selling the real deal now.

Caps and o-rings and other accessories are still available straight out of Canada.

A little over a year ago I purchased MFCs and MWCs from DS Tactical in Canada. They work directly with Scepter. At that point they said that some of the products in the Scepter product matrix are only made for large governmental customers, so there were some items that I had purchased from Scepter in the past (pre-CARB) that with the reduced market are no longer available regularly (like red cans or yellow cans).