Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2019, 07:24 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle350 View Post
The shape of the windows in the E350 would make getting a well fitted shade hard to get. I priced everything yesterday. Black out material both sides, reflectix and insulation fabric on the inside is around $300. That’s to do every window except the front. I’m not sure what I’m doing with the front yet. I will be hanging a curtain right behind the seats though. That’ll make for total privacy in the back. I’m hoping to have all these made and ready to use in about a month.

My DIY setup was maybe $50-$60 in materials......closeout black headliner from fabric supply $7/yard I think, a roll of reflectix and a can of spray headliner adhesive, maybe 2 cans.

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:28 AM   #22

Yeah, the blackout material is double the price of headliner and I have 33 Ln Ft of windows to cover. 66 square feet of windows.
Seattle350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:29 AM   #23

Oh, and I was going to do a later of insulation fabric along with the reflectix and black out both sides. Total of 4 layers.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:29 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetreevanman View Post
What actictraveler said!

Back when I had a VW Vanagon I did the reflectix too, got tired of figuring out where to store, didn't like the cold look of reflectix, so I bought a Westfalia curtain kit. ]
I store mine under the bed when it's not in use, but it's only a single layer. Sewing on another layer with edge binding will bulk it up quite a bit, improving performance and appearance but making it somewhat harder to store. I also have curtains, but without the Refletix behind them, their poor insulators.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:14 PM   #25

yeah, I am hoping I'm not over doing this. When it comes to sound and temp insulation overdoing it doesn't seem possible though. I think I'm going to leave mine on the windows most of the time but also I plan to make them roll or fold up
Old 03-10-2019, 10:28 AM   #26

Black out curtains for penthouse

[IMG]http:/
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26142&stc=1&d=15522351 16[/IMG]

Just finished making new blackout curtains for the penthouse. Was quite a project from getting wood cut to making the curtains and reinstalling them. Worth the effort—both darker and warmer
Attached Thumbnails
EC20E2DC-2E48-4F76-89E2-0C2E91EE6DC6.jpg  
Fremebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 01:29 PM   #27

Window covers

True.
I've been using reflectix on my windows for several years now. But when you take them off the window they are in the way. I only recently figured out I can roll them and rubberband them. (Duh. I bought the reflectix in a roll.) It's easier than trying to find somewhere to put them keeping them straight. If you use a stiff cardboard, you can't roll them up. Plus, cardboard material is vulnerable to moisture and mold.
Ande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 01:31 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle350 View Post
I have access to a sewing machine and someone who can pretty much sew anything. I'm looking to make or purchase window covers like the ones seen on this webpage https://diyadventurevanco.com/collec...ce-cockpit-kit

As you can see I have a lot of windows to cover. I have been a cabinet maker and finish carpenter for 30 years so I know a thing or 2 about making templates and creating a custom fit piece. What I don't know is if I can get the material cheap enough to justify the cost saving of making them myself.
Where to buy the material?
What is the material?
Does someone make something similar for the E series vans?
Sew black material over reflectix
Old 03-10-2019, 01:36 PM   #29

Not the best idea to barricade yourself inside a vehicle with toxic chemical spray.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:43 PM   #30

Does anyone know of a local place for van blinds replacement and/or repair. Local meaning Seattle. Preferably East aside.