Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2009, 11:52 PM   #1

Cabin vents blowing warm air

Greetings,

Using my cabin vents on coldest setting, it blows warm air.
When the outside temps are above 80%, the vent is blowing warm air.
Is there a way to add some type of intake port, bringing in cool air through the vents?
Any adavice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Zugg

Old 04-23-2009, 08:29 AM   #2

Re: Cabin vents blowing warm air

I always thought it was a Ford Diesel thing, my 7.3 and 6.0 both do it, but someone just mentioned the V10s do it as well. The only thing I've found is to switch over to AC from vent... thank goodness I don't watch my MPG.

I would also like to know if there is any solution.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:46 AM   #3
Site Team

Garage

Didn't Broncohauler find some valve that helped to stop this? Herb!

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:13 AM   #4
Site Team

Warm/hot air from the vents all the time: CHECK
Bought a heater core bypass valve to correct the problem: CHECK
Asked SMBw to install it: CHECK
Heater core bypass installed: NOT

When I dropped off my SMB to have some work done at SMBw, I asked them to install the heater core bypass valve. They apparently call the manufacturer but they were out on vacation. So, they called their connection at the local Ford dealership, and they told SMBw that it wasn't necessary, as it was something that had been corrected at some point in the build cycle (don't recall the model year, but mine was supposedly after this date).

Still have warm/hot air from vents all the time: CHECK

Here's the porduct and the site I bought it from (they developed this valve). I never did check back with them to verify what SMBw relayed to me, but I know I still have the constant warm/hot air unless the AC is on. I still have the valve, uninstalled, sitting in a box in my SMB.

http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?Pag ... ProdID=473

This disclaimer is on their site, but I'm not aware of this function on my van.
*There are a few 6.0L equipped models with an optional ATC (Air Temperature Control) system. These trucks do not need this modification. To know if your truck is equipped with this feature, look at the upper heater hose on the passenger side of the engine and look for a valve similar to the one pictured above.

Herb
Old 04-24-2009, 06:50 AM   #5

I checked our vent after reading all of your posts and put it to the test in our 2007 the other day with temperature's in the triple digits and found that the air was averaging twenty degrees cooler than the outside temperature's . I used a commercial register type A/C thermometer and found that while not cold it was cooling to the feel . Is this what you are all referring to ?
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:13 AM   #6

Greggde, did you drive around for an hour to get the engine nice and hot first? My vents blow relatively cool unless the engine is hot. This happens quicker (hot engine) if it is hot out, but lately we've been having cool temps and I'm still getting hot air from the vent, warmer by feel than what comes through a cracked window. Warm enough that it feels like the heat is on, not all the way, but definitly on.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:27 AM   #7

jage ,
Engine water temps were at 190 to 204 degrees (scan gauge) . I would think that should be hot enough to cause the excessive heat coming from the Vent .
Greggde
Old 04-24-2009, 09:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggde
I checked our vent after reading all of your posts and put it to the test in our 2007 the other day with temperature's in the triple digits and found that the air was averaging twenty degrees cooler than the outside temperature's
A 20 degree drop? Are you sure you're not running the A/C?

If I'm reading this thread right, it sounds like the complaint is that when the air is set to "Vent", it's coming out hot. This is what I experience.

-- Geoff
Old 04-24-2009, 10:06 AM   #9

Geoff ,
Register Control is set on Vent , Control Knob was turned to the end of the Blue Zone . Air conditioner was not turned on , Thermometer was placed in each one of the registers in the Dashboard and read exactly 21 degree's cooler than the outside temperature that was showing 106 degree's on the La Crosse Weather Station . While this 85 degree temperature was not ideal , it was never the less more pleasant than the outside temperature . I am not sure what constitutes the temperatures that has been referred to on the Forum as hot ?
Greggde
Old 04-24-2009, 11:00 AM   #10

It sounds like you're doing the right things in your experiment (unless you have it set for Defrost, which does secretly engage the A/C) -- but I'm a bit mystified as to how the vent pass-through would lower the air temperature without the A/C engaged.

-- Geoff