Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2017, 08:04 PM   #1

Garage
Cabinet Bracket Relocation Questions

I scored a Norcold NR751BB refrigerator, it uses the same cutout size as the Norcold DC-0051 that was in there before, but this is a much tighter fit. The two large L-brackets that hold the vertical cabinet members to the floor, on either side of the refer opening, create too much of an obstruction to let the new one slide in. It looks like I might have to move one or both of the brackets to the other side of the vertical piece reversing the elevator bolts used in each panel.

Here is an old pic of the old refer and the brackets.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.

That would put one L-bracket in the cubby for the porta-pottie to the left. If that does not do it, I may move the other outside of the cabinet, bolting the vertical right behind the drivers seat.

It was already dark outside when I started this project, but it looks like these bolt through the van floor underneath the van, but above the propane tank.

My questions are these:

1. Has anyone moved, removed or reinstalled these brackets before?
Are there any tricks or things to be aware of?

2. I assume they go through the floor, as I can see a big, thick fender washer in the approximate location of the suspect bolt and bracket. Is that so?

3. Also, any big headache dropping the propane tank, since everything I need to touch is right above it in my plan?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:44 PM   #2

Have a look at Jage's thread on removing and dynamatting the fridge. He modified the brackets to create more space. http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-wall-391.html
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:56 PM   #3

Is the L bracket itself in the way or just the bolt/washer/cap going through the cabinet that's in the way? If the latter you could get some flatter bolts like I've linked below, sometimes called sidewalk bolts. Relocating those brackets means a good bit of work removing propane tank and/or fuel tank and putting more large holes in your floor. I've done it many times and I wouldn't recommend doing it unless there is no other alternative.

12-Pack Flat Head Carriage Bolt/ Nut: Model# N280-859 | True Value

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...3A&vet=1&w=480
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:46 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Is the L bracket itself in the way or just the bolt/washer/cap going through the cabinet that's in the way? If the latter you could get some flatter bolts like I've linked below, sometimes called sidewalk bolts. Relocating those brackets means a good bit of work removing propane tank and/or fuel tank and putting more large holes in your floor. I've done it many times and I wouldn't recommend doing it unless there is no other alternative.

12-Pack Flat Head Carriage Bolt/ Nut: Model# N280-859 | True Value

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...3A&vet=1&w=480

It is not the bolts going through the cabinet that are in the way, it is the bolts going through the floor that are the trouble. There is room on the sides of the refer, but the floor section of the bracket extends much further out and the new refer has a solid rail at the bottom from front to back so you cant even walk it around the obstruction. The cabinet to L-bracket bolts are already elevator bolts (carriage bolts with very flat heads) and would be easy to reverse, putting the nut on the other side of the cabinet panel. I expect to do that when putting the whole bracket on the other side of the panel.
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Old 01-09-2017, 08:08 AM   #5

I see. I guess you could grind them down but it doesn't sound like a sure thing. I just try to avoid adding holes to the floor at all costs but you might have to.

Let us know what you figure out.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:40 AM   #6

I did the same swap last year and moved both floor brackets to the other side of the cabinet walls - one in the PP cabinet and the other behind the driver's seat. There were no barriers to drilling the new holes in the floor. Worked great. I also had to find new screws for all the cabinet brackets with flatter heads to get enough room to slid the new fridge in... it's a tight fit.

Joe
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:42 AM   #7

replaced screws in the top of the cabinet that is
2003 EB30 - Sold
Old 01-09-2017, 11:41 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigriver View Post
I did the same swap last year and moved both floor brackets to the other side of the cabinet walls - one in the PP cabinet and the other behind the driver's seat. There were no barriers to drilling the new holes in the floor. Worked great. I also had to find new screws for all the cabinet brackets with flatter heads to get enough room to slid the new fridge in... it's a tight fit.

Joe
Did you drop the propane tank or could you get to the hardware through the access door?
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

Old 01-10-2017, 09:24 AM   #9

I don't have a propane tank under there so it was no big deal. I now see you do and that certainly presents a problem I did not face. Good luck with the project.
Joe
2003 EB30 - Sold
Old 01-10-2017, 09:31 AM   #10

Garage
Thanks, I will keep the thread posted.
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD