Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2015, 08:26 PM   #11

Re: Cabinet door laminating/resurfacing tutorial

nice work...never have tried a router for T molding groove.....

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:19 PM   #12

Just WOW!

Guys, I am blown completely away!
This is exactly the info I needed, as my t-trim has shrunk ( presumably due to heat?) and I need to replace at least some ( if not all) of what is currently
on the cabinets.
Can someone tell me if SMB glues this stuff down?
If so, then I’ll need some advice on the best way to remove it ( heat gun?).
My interior is all white ( or possibly off-white), as it’s very hard to tell after so many years ( 2005). But
I’d dearly love to have wood!!! I’m not sure I’m capable of that level of work! Any idea what it would cost me to have it refaced?
Thanks again,
ConnieKat
ConnieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:03 PM   #13

My SMB T-moulding is just pressed into a groove and can be easily removed by hand. Reinstall with a rubber mallet and a light touch.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:02 PM   #14

Evy
Incredible work! It appears that you are redoing the entire rig? At least the interior....! You truly have guts in spades. Do you have enough of it completed, especially those gorgeous cabinets, to show us some pictures? PM if you don’t want it out yet....but I love what you’re doing and would really love to see how it
looks when completed. And perhaps you’d be willing to share what else you have in mind.
By the way, what size rig do you have, and how big is the fridge shown in the photos? I think I have the smallest one they had out in 2005, and I’d really love a small one that has a freezer!!! Ice cubes would be nice.
What’s your plan for walls, floor, and ceiling? Especially the color? I keep seeing something like
turquoise or orange ( but I’m an artist so that’s how my mind’s eye works). I really hope you are willing to share because this looks like it’s really going to be beautiful!!!
Thanks,
ConnieKat
Old 02-17-2019, 08:07 PM   #15

Gorgeous! So....what’s the best wat to piece the ends together so you don’t end up with gaps, and the ends fit snugly together ( and stay that way)?
ConnieKat
Old 02-17-2019, 08:15 PM   #16

I agree wholeheartily with that comment! I’d really like to see at least one ( or more) tutorials on installing solar panels on various types of “ tops”. I have the med height dome ( cruiser?) top on mine with the fan in the middle. Have several versions of self-stick panels, but have run into a few problems with installing them! Desperately in need of advice (HELP!) on this project, but needs to be done soon,
if I can possibly manage it.
Thanks in advance,
ConnieKat
Old 05-06-2021, 11:18 AM   #17

Interior Upgrades

Hi There - we have a 2005 E350 that we're thinking about updating some of the paneling inside on - some due to water damage (pop-top leak) and some just due to wear - what materials are people using to replace the interior ceiling and then the cabinetry inside - doors, drawers, framing, etc. Has anyone re-done the coating on their floor at all? We're about to peel off our solar panels, re-do the top and mount our solar to the rails instead of directly on the top like the previous owner did.

laura
Attached Thumbnails
526794AF-38E4-4B6D-88FA-2684CC27DCE8.jpg   D07B48F5-A2C6-4E07-AC20-AE7341782544.jpg  
Peanut4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 12:11 PM   #18

Hi,
Somewhere in here there is a whole story on how to do that,
and what was used. I may have saved it...and if so, will send
it, but you may want to look for it yourself? It was extremely
thorough....including photos, materisls, and exactly how to
resurface all of it!
Hope this helps,
ConnieKat
Old 05-06-2021, 12:55 PM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut4x4 View Post
Hi There - we have a 2005 E350 that we're thinking about updating some of the paneling inside on - some due to water damage (pop-top leak) and some just due to wear - what materials are people using to replace the interior ceiling and then the cabinetry inside - doors, drawers, framing, etc. Has anyone re-done the coating on their floor at all? We're about to peel off our solar panels, re-do the top and mount our solar to the rails instead of directly on the top like the previous owner did.

laura
Sounds like you've got your work cut out for the next couple of months (and that's just from the research).

In all fairness you'll want to spend time on seeing what other members have done on their own builds/modifications. The creativeness from fellow forum members is outstanding. I'd start by reviewing ground up builds and see what materials and techniques others used. Pay attention to strength, ease of construction and aesthetic qualities. If you end up replacing cabinetry - just don't use MDF as SMB used in the early 2000s.

I ended up replacing my cabinet's doors and drawers, but stopped short of replacing any of the structure (for now). Thread can be found here: https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ift-25720.html

If you end up replacing the cabinetry structure itself, either Baltic Birch or Apple plywood are ideal. For ease of replication, you might try to match the thickness of the existing MDF as closely as you can.

Best of luck and keep us updated.
Old 05-06-2021, 02:12 PM   #20

If you really want a higher quality interior then hardwood ply (oak is ideal) will create beautiful cabinets. On the other hand, the Melamine cabinets with the rubber edging will hide the beating an interior can take better than real wood.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote