Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2017, 07:19 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmMay View Post
Remember that memory foam can become very stiff/hard in low temperatures; our topper we toss onto the standard foam turned into a rock when we were passing through the eastern sierras a few years back.
It's science... Im sure...
"Remember....memory foam".....hey, I see what you did there, hehe

In seriousness -- that's an interesting bit of info about cold temperatures affecting that foam....how cold does it have to be before that's a noticeable issue? I'm guessing that when it's cold enough for that to start affecting the durometer of the memory foam...my girlfriend will be insisting we turn on the furnace anyway.

MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:40 PM   #12

Mike, I have not had an SMB or any other camper bed completely restuffed with memory foam. I've always been afraid memory foam wouldn't be good all the time and that a topper would be a better choice. This place will cut you a topper too if that's all you want, maybe 2" thick? They have several different grades and thicknesses. For gaucho/couch-beds I've just used the 'firmer' 4 or 6" standard foam.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:24 PM   #13

Garage
Thanks for sharing the foam warehouse, let us know how it goes with them. Most of us seem to be up here in the NW.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:42 PM   #14
GAR

The place I purchased the bed in my home from suggested I use their sleep comfort replacement core guarantee and buy same for the van. They cut a 60 X 73 X 3 inch piece 100% natural Tally latex and custom sewed an organic cotton stretch cover for it that can be zipped on and off to wash. Saved me a considerable amount of money. It is very comfortable to sleep on, and I am not breathing in VOC from the matress while I sleep.

Gar
GAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:20 AM   #15

Honestly memory foam isn't that great on its own. Really needs a regular supportive foam underneath it. Ive had back surgery and cracked ribs , took me awhile to figure how to sleep comfortably. Walmart sells memory foam mattress toppers cheaply combine that with with egg crate foam topper underneath that and you have a very supportive and forgiving place to sleep.
Old 09-10-2017, 02:38 PM   #16

Garage
Hey --- at the other end of the temperature spectrum....

>> Have any of you found a brand/model of memory foam pad/cover that doesn't have the "too warm to sleep comfortably on" quality that seems to be somewhat common?

While comfy, the densely-packed foam cells sure do seem to generate an "extra-toasty sleep-nest surface" in the warmer months. (We put a cool-to-the-touch nylon rolled-out sleeping bag on top of the memory foam, but it can still get warmer than we'd like sometimes....that foam seems to really hold on to heat....)

Been doing some reading on the various types of "cool-top" memory foams available, coming across mention of both "gel top" and "less dense cell structure" variants....
Old 09-10-2017, 03:33 PM   #17
GAR

Keep in mind, "Talalay Latex" is not memory foam, but rubber. While it is pricy, it is cool and comfortable and does not change with temperature. Its how all beds were made prior to WW2 and the subsequent rubber shortage which led to beds being made out of foam and springs.

Gar
Old 09-10-2017, 08:55 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAR View Post
Keep in mind, "Talalay Latex" is not memory foam, but rubber. While it is pricy, it is cool and comfortable and does not change with temperature. Its how all beds were made prior to WW2 and the subsequent rubber shortage which led to beds being made out of foam and springs.

Gar
Hey this is great info! Thanks so much for the heads-up on an option that doesn't seem to be well-known.

This is very timely --- we're currently shopping for a new mattress for the home bedroom as well as for the camper-van mattress. Hadn't heard of Talalay latex mattress material before. (Reading now about the alternative "Dunlop" latex rubber matttresses as well. Sounds like the Talalaly product is the most impressively-manufactured latex-sourced bedding of the two.)

Great thread!!
Old 09-10-2017, 11:44 PM   #19
GAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
Hey this is great info! Thanks so much for the heads-up on an option that doesn't seem to be well-known.

This is very timely --- we're currently shopping for a new mattress for the home bedroom as well as for the camper-van mattress. Hadn't heard of Talalay latex mattress material before. (Reading now about the alternative "Dunlop" latex rubber matttresses as well. Sounds like the Talalaly product is the most impressively-manufactured latex-sourced bedding of the two.)

Great thread!!
Awesome!

If ya end up with a Talalay latex matress you won't regret it. The Dunlop latex is a lil cheaper but not as good. I highly recommend the Talalay. If you can find a company that also places them in an organic wool matress you will not have to sleep on a bed sprayed with a Formaldehyde based fire retardent; which is not something one wants to breath in 6-9 hours a day.

Many of these beds can be shipped to your home. They vacume seal the cores, which shrinks them way down in size. You then place the wool cover on a wood slatted frame (best for these types of beds as it lets them breath), then place the cores inside, zip it up and your all set. My house bed has six 3-inch cores (three on the left side, three on the right), i have an extra firm on the bottom, with two medium firm on top, and finally a two inch soft topper. One can adust the firmness of each side independently depending on the comfort level desired by the husband or wife.

Gar
Old 09-11-2017, 11:46 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
Hey, has anybody actually *removed their penthouse bed* and taken it to an upholsterer to have it completely redone?
...Just start over.....the inner plywood is nothing to write home about...it's easy enough to make a lighter and stiffer panel with minimal effort.

I would do a sandwich panel using 1/8" baltic birch skins stapled and glued to an inner frame made up of slats....I almost did but ended up making stiff/light frames with cushions on top.....works great.

I have a guy in Santa Ana who is very reasonable for upholstery work....and you can buy the foam and fabric at A1 foam and fabric in Santa Ana, fully customized to whatever you want.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote