Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2017, 12:05 PM   #21

Im about to replace my 2 inch SMB foam with something better. Anyone manage to still have the top close down onto 3 inches of foam? Obviously the density of the foam matters, but after this last weekend trip, the wife and I agree we need something better up there and I would rather have it be something that stays up there.

bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:36 PM   #22

Garage
Our top closes on 4" of foam, but I'm not sure what the differences are between the Chevy and Ford tops (our's is a Chevy). It's the only way I've been able to sleep comfortably in our PH. One thing is for certain with memory foam though, and that is that you need to cover it with something that isn't too thick or that will allow the foam to stretch...meaning that if you were to simply cover memory foam with the exact same fabric that smb used to cover our PH beds with to begin with, you'd have a softer bed, yes, but it wouldn't be anywhere near as soft/compliant as the same thickness of foam covered with a very light and elastic fabric. I bought our topper from Walmart and cut it down to size using long exacto blades. It's easy to do if you have a large cutting surface and something that you can compress the foam with, making it very thin. My wife made a custom-fitting cover out of some nice bed sheets for it and we just lay it on top of the PH bed. It definitely made the whole setup significantly heavier, but it's worth it. If I had the time and were so inclined, it might be a fun project to make a carbon fiber-based bed with the memory foam built-in and just get rid of the original smb version.

capn
capnkurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:31 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
Im about to replace my 2 inch SMB foam with something better. Anyone manage to still have the top close down onto 3 inches of foam? Obviously the density of the foam matters, but after this last weekend trip, the wife and I agree we need something better up there and I would rather have it be something that stays up there.
I've got 1" thick (5/4" lumber) panels supporting 4" of foam, so 5" total....that clears the top when it's down.....you'd need a feeler gauge to measure the space but it clears. I have the std "ribbed" top...Brian I know yours is smooth...

....easy enough to try one of my cushions in your van...
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:02 PM   #24

I might have to take you up on that. I tried a 4-5" pad ontop of 1 1/4" support panel and it looked to be about 1-2 inches too big. so i have a 3 inch pad on order, should work fine.

If that fails, ill have to try your pad and investigate the difference in the flat vs ribbed tops.
bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:18 PM   #25

On the bed I built, put down a quality carpet pad (able to get a scrap 70"x96" from HomeDepot for $5) and then put a 3" memory foam pad on it. Worked perfect. The carpet pad added some protection from pressure points.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2x 1987 BMW 535is
1995 BMW 540i6
winmag4582001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:36 AM   #26

anyone done a really thin mattress out of stiffer foam? I'm looking for foam for both a inside bench that folds to a bed, as well as foam for the pop top bed. I'm trying to redo the pop top bed in a way that it'll be one solid bed frame that sits on the roof cutout when in use, but can be latched (sucked up to) the pop top roof when parked with the top closed to gain a little headroom. so the thinner the mattress the better that idea will work. I'm thinking 2" but maybe 1 or 1 1/2" I need thin stuff for the inside bench for other reasons.
I like the above idea of using a carpet pad to prevent pressure points.
mrsa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 06:21 PM   #27

We just used our new Exped MegaMat Duo 10 Sleeping Pad this weekend in our RB50 SMB. It fits perfectly (if a little tight) in the bed area for our RB50. The dimensions are 77.5 x 52 x 4. Very comfortable sleeping. A little difficult to get the air out if you want to stuff it in the sack, but I just pressed a fair amount of the air out, folded in half front to back and left it behind the couch. We can still put duffle bags or whatever on top of it during the day, and it is much easier to inflate if you don't totally deflate it. Not cheap though. Almost $400. The wife said it's the best she has ever slept in the van, and maybe better than the bed at home.

https://www.amazon.com/Exped-MegaMat...Bduo%2B10&th=1
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:27 AM   #28

Does anyone use something as a rigid backing for the foam? There's one maybe 8"x8" section in my bench/bed fold out that won't have anything under it for support, so I need to back the foam mattress with something relatively rigid so it doesn't fold over on that spot. I was trying to find some real thin plastic sheeting but it seems like anything very thin is going to flex quite a bit.
mrsa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 04:22 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel_murphy View Post
Thanks guys. Found a place locally called Foam Wharehouse NW gonna give them a try
The one in Clackamas? If so, great. I need to check them out too. My wife hasn't been happy with our dinette-bed comfort.
94' LR Discovery - built
KF7KOY
01E350AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 04:36 PM   #30

Garage
I'm subscribing to this thread. We just picked up our CCV top. They did a custom memory foam mattress, and I'm less than excited about it. I'm already trying to figure out how to make a nicer firmer easier mattress.
Wanderlust Bus is offline   Reply With Quote