Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2017, 09:51 AM   #1

Can anyone recommend memory foam for penthouse bed?

Wife and I want to get a 2-3 inch memory foam pad for our p house bed. We've been using inflatable sleeping pads and an egg carton. The pads are longer than the bed and it's very difficult to store. Maybe something we can put a sheet on and leave in place?

Squirrel_murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:54 AM   #2

Are you in a decent size city that will have a good upholstery store? I don't mean an upholstery shop and not really like a JoAnne's Fabrics either. We have this place called 'upholstery and foam warehouse' here (in Knoxville Tn) and they cut any foam custom, on the spot. I've gotten some amazing camper mattresses and memory foam toppers cut over the years. I would Google around and see if you can find a similar place.

86Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:21 PM   #3

I found memory foam toppers at Target. My lower bed setup works out as a Full Size mattress so that's easy.

But yeah, there are stores that sell just foam like Scotty says.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:35 PM   #4

IKEA has some low cost options
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:44 PM   #5

Thanks guys. Found a place locally called Foam Wharehouse NW gonna give them a try
Old 09-06-2017, 03:37 PM   #6

We used memory foam for a long time together with Therm-a-Rest pads from REI with a "pillow-top cover on top to hold the pads together. We finally got rid of the memory foam altogether. My wife has had bad problems since before we got our van and this final configuration works great for us.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel_murphy View Post
Thanks guys. Found a place locally called Foam Wharehouse NW gonna give them a try
Glad to hear it. With the strange sized beds in home builds and lots of other campers this is probably a better and cheaper option than the box store ideas above, although they are certainly worth checking out and comparing.

86Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:48 PM   #8

Garage
Hey, has anybody actually *removed their penthouse bed* and taken it to an upholsterer to have it completely redone?

(Perhaps that's what you were indicating, 86Scotty?)

It definitely seems like the most desirable (although perhaps not the most economical) solution. Having a quality upholstery shop pull out the craptastic original SMB foam.....and put some darn nice / top-notch memory foam *inside the bed*.....and then re-trim it with fresh fabric.
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
Hey, has anybody actually *removed their penthouse bed* and taken it to an upholsterer to have it completely redone?

(Perhaps that's what you were indicating, 86Scotty?)

It definitely seems like the most desirable (although perhaps not the most economical) solution. Having a quality upholstery shop pull out the craptastic original SMB foam.....and put some darn nice / top-notch memory foam *inside the bed*.....and then re-trim it with fresh fabric.
Very interested in this also
Old 09-06-2017, 07:04 PM   #10

Remember that memory foam can become very stiff/hard in low temperatures; our topper we toss onto the standard foam turned into a rock when we were passing through the eastern sierras a few years back.
It's science... Im sure...
EmMay is offline   Reply With Quote