Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2015, 08:27 PM   #11

Re: Coin flooring (Loncoin): Like it? Would you choose it ag

a bit late to the party but ....

My wife and I have the small-rib nearly-smooth rubber flooring that was a chevy cargo van flooring option. We wouldn't trade it for anything we've run across so far. And during the evenings we roll out a 30" x 40" "Miracle Door Mat". We actually have four of these in our big rig, and one in the van. I will take any one of them (as needed) down to the local launder matt. They come out of the wash looking new. Most are going on 5 years and show no signs of wear.

Example of Miracle Mat at Amazon

Thom

accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 09:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva
For some reason I'm not a fan of diamond-plate pattern, but that's just a personal quirk. It does look like it might be less likely to trap dirt around the raised areas than "coins," so too bad I don't like it more..
We have a diamond plate floor installed by SMB and love it.

Pros: water proof, slip resistant, durable, and provides MFD cabinet protection from water damage due to small spills because the diamonds raise the cabinets off the floor and allows water to channel beneath them. Also easy to clean.

Cons: hurts to neal on (must lay or sit or place cushioning item down to avoid this).
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:44 PM   #13

Thanks for the feedback from those who posted recently. Good timing as I am *finally* getting to the point of choosing the flooring, and may even get it done before spring (although please, no-one hold their breath ).

Viva

PS: Joey2cool, I had wondered how the base of the cabinets was handled with a raised pattern. So it sounds like SMB just "sets" the cabinets down on top of the pattern. I guess this makes sense, as it would take about a thousand years to notch the cabinets for each coin/etc. (And it sounds like they don't caulk or put baseboard or etc. down.)
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:38 AM   #14

Not sure what you mean by baseboard, but the floor covering is epoxied to plywood underlayment. No caulk used.

I would have preferred the house floor covering extend all the way up front, but SMB doesn't mess with the cab area (leaving OEM carpet in place). This makes use of retail floor mats necessary on driver and passenger seat floor areas if you want to keep it clean.
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:50 PM   #15

What I meant by "baseboard" was, imagine the place where the front vertical wall of a cabinet meets the floor. Sometimes there is a trim piece there (two part in a house, but maybe just something like quarter round in a van) to cover a gap, make it look more finished, etc.

I prefer not to have such a piece in a van, especially since they often don't have "kick space" at the bottom of the cabinets anyway - why make it jut out more?

That's one of the things I had been pondering, so always interesting to see how it is done by others.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:14 PM   #16

If you replace the carpet will you be doing it yourself or having it done professionally?
I ask as I am wondering how hard a job that really is......or if better off going to a place
to have it done properly.....I am also considering replacing our old carpet but happen to have
so wood left over from an RV we did the floor on.
thanks