Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2015, 09:51 AM   #11

Re: Cold weather heating, your preferred choice?

We have a propane Suburban that is a bit to short on capacity when it gets in the lower 30's with the top up. A good sleeping bag with a wool blanket on top keeps us warm. If I was going to install a new one I would move it to the center of the van. Right now it is near the rear and does not distribute the heat evenly.

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:39 AM   #12

Garage

Espar d5 hydronic. We turn the thermostat all the way down, about 50f, and it keeps the van real cozy. I rarely camp in below 20f conditions. The Espar airtronic would be a better fit for that.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:04 PM   #13

Silly me... what's the benefit of the D5 over the D4?
Hot water heater?
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 01:54 PM   #14
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso
Silly me... what's the benefit of the D5 over the D4?
Hot water heater?
Yep I think it can be used for heating water and/or the cab. IIRC you have to purchase accessories. I have a separate D-4 Airtronic and standalone Hydronic. One of the techs also said he thinks running the D-2 on high is better than running the D-4 on low. At least in my case after running fuel additive I've yet to have an issue with carbon build up and glow plug issues which running the units at a higher mode is supposed to curtail. I run the heater at a medium setting at night and usually crank it down to low while I sleep just to knock off the colds edge. Obviously it depends on the outside temps and I've been comfortable sleeping up top with a zero* bag down to 8* outside temps. As you'd expect during that kind of cold the unit runs at a higher setting pulling more amps and producing more noise, neither of which bother me. Most of the temps I encounter range from the mid teens to about 50* when I need to run it. Sure is nice to be in light clothing inside kicking back. In the morning I run it on high for the 15 minute timeout during shutdown. Seems to work for me and although slightly noisy while on high I'd rather deal with the noise than carbon. I just open the doors and let it scream until it shuts down. The one thing I think I would look into is what does a D-5 pull in amperage during its run time on high and low. My Hydronic is tied to my coolant system and I find it takes a while before it slows down and that depends on the outside temp. The colder it is the more it cycles and if you think about it, water running through the engine cools quickly so it naturally cycles more. Probably worth noting (and I'm not speaking of the D-5) is the Hydronic pulls several more amps on high than the Airtronic. The good part of having separate units in my case is that the Hydronic works great as an engine coolant heater and if I don't need to heat the engine I don't need to worry about power draw. It also doesn't take an hour to get hot water to the tap, rather only a few minutes so in other words it's basically hot water on demand. The engine usually takes about an hour to warm where it helps with cold weather starting. I usually set mine to automatically start up around 4-5AM and run for 2 hours during colder weather when I worry about the heat exchanger freezing up. By the time I get up the engine cranks over easy. Some people have moved their heat exchanger and lines inside but SMB claims they can't do that according to the RIVA rules. Another issue with the Hydronic compared to the Airtronic at least in my case is the noise. My Hydronic sounds like a jet engine. This video of the D-5 sounds like my Hydronic:

Also the Hydronic does ramp down and is much quieter when it does but between the two both on high the Hydronic is twice as loud and I have the muffler on both. Don't know if there is a way to make them more quiet.
The Airtronic is much quieter but you still hear that tapping noise of the fuel pump which drives some people nuts.
I would do some research about the D-5 system. Perhaps it doesn't pull the amperage my Hydronic does. And maybe it can be set so it doesn't have to warm the engine. I don't know anything about the D-5 so maybe Ron or other D-5 owners can chime in here.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:29 PM   #15

So it arrived today, once I get it installed I'll never be cold again

Old 09-18-2015, 12:35 PM   #16

I spoke with Greg, the guy at the store and he said it's possible to use up to 6ft exhaust pipe to help reduce the sound.
First I'll try with the already supplied materials.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:01 AM   #17

Garage

Can you use a different fuel pump to eliminate that tapping sound? Or is it some sort of special proprietary pump?
ert01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:06 AM   #18

I can't give you an answer because I don't know. Might best to ask the manufacturer or the people who are selling the unit.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:48 AM   #19

I don't believe you can use another fuel pump. It is metered and controlled by the unit. I wrapped mine in some closed cell foam and made sure that it wasn't bumping into the frame or undercarriage when operating. Barely noticeable while in the van.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:40 PM   #20

Thanks for the tip.