Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2015, 11:00 PM   #21

Re: Cold weather heating, your preferred choice?

We have a V10 gas van & just use a Mr. Heater portable propane heater. We don't run it at night but turn it on in the morning to heat the van up a bit. This has worked down into the 20's for us but we live in SoCal and don't need to deal with real cold unless we're out of the area.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:26 AM   #22

I just bought and disassembled a Mr Buddy heater for a work project......spent half the day yesterday reverse engineering the performance and specs for the unit. Slick little heaters......

These are ceramic heaters, not catalytic as sometimes mentioned online.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:32 AM   #23

I am assuming that the Espar heater has its own fuel pump of some sort, correct? Has anyone heard of someone, with a gas van, installing a small 1-2 gallon diesel tank to supply fuel to the Espar heater, instead of going with propane? For those that don't cook in their van, don't have a propane tank already installed, and/or live,work,play at high altitude where propane may not work I am just wondering if it would be an option to install the Espar heater instead.

Thoughts?
Old 09-29-2015, 08:46 AM   #24

Espar makes a gasoline fired heater, the B2, iirc. Bit hard to find in the US but they are around. It is actually quite a good solution.

That being said, a number of people have installed diesel supply tanks for the Espar diesel.

Search Hal The Van thread
Old 09-29-2015, 03:18 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
I just bought and disassembled a Mr Buddy heater for a work project......spent half the day yesterday reverse engineering the performance and specs for the unit. Slick little heaters......

These are ceramic heaters, not catalytic as sometimes mentioned online.
And some companies seem to actively "encourage" the misconception, as isn't the Coleman BlackCat the same type of heater as the Mr. Buddy? (I've had both the BlackCat and the Little Buddy and they seem basically the same to me.)
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:16 PM   #26

The Coleman appears to be catalytic......at least that what the specs say.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:51 PM   #27

We use a Olympia Wave 3 Catalytic. It is good down to high 20's with a non-pop top. Very efficient and easily stored. Brings the inside temp up to the mid 60's.

Going with the Espar D2 in the diesel van and maybe a Wave 6 as supplemental for really cold situations. Have to see how the D2 does on its own.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:08 PM   #28

And some companies seem to actively "encourage" the misconception, as isn't the Coleman BlackCat the same type of heater as the Mr. Buddy? (I've had both the BlackCat and the Little Buddy and they seem basically the same to me.)[/quote]

Mr Buddy is a heater that works by normal combustion of gas, the Coleman Black Cat is a catalytic heater. They are not the same thing nor use the same process of converting the propane into heat.

I've always been partial to the marine diesel stoves myself though the chimney mounting might create some problems on a van. http://dickinsonmarine.com/product/newp ... el-heater/
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:53 PM   #29

I agree - I've had the "real" marine heaters in several boats and they are very nice. But, sometimes a small portable fills the bill, and a chimney isn't always easy to place.

My bad on the Coleman BlackCat vs. the Little Buddy. Thanks for correcting me! I now understand the Coleman is catalytic and the Little Buddy is not. I've used the Little Buddy quite a bit, but didn't like the upright stance (easier to tip) and the large stowed size. So I got a new-in-box old style Blackcat but haven't used it yet. I like how it is not as vulnerable to tipping and stows very compactly. Just to show what I'm talking about:

Little Buddy:

Old-style Black Cat:

The new style Coleman sits similarly, but the plastic body takes up a lot more space in storage, and some people complained of the arms breaking. The old one seems like a better design to me.

Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:55 PM   #30
Site Team

Garage

I've considered one of the Olympian wave 3 heaters as a backup. The little Blackcat just doesn't put out much.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote