Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2019, 10:57 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
It will work but will you use it more than a couple of times before wishing the heater was “installed” and pretty much as easy as pushing a button? Figuring out where to place the all in one, running hoses out widows? Etc.

The permanent unit on the inside is the size of a medium loaf of sliced bread.

I can see getting the all in one first to try it? Just make sure you can get or fab the mounting the floor pieces so you can ultimately install the unit permanently.
Yeah I think I will likely disassemble it eventually for a permanent install once I figure out my interior layout. It's a little more work than using our buddy heater at the moment but at least it will run all night without having to change a 1 pound tank or using a larger propane tank that I have to haul with me.

Old 10-05-2019, 11:17 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrull View Post
Yeah I think I will likely disassemble it eventually for a permanent install once I figure out my interior layout.
You would pay more for the all in one portable unit. Installing one permanently takes up so little space that no matter how you finished your build, you could easily build around it. The one in my SMB is placed just behind the drivers side rear wheel and fits nicely in that space. Installing one is as simple as running the intake and exhaust hoses (likely through the floor), connecting a fuel line, two power wires and the thermostat wires. As Ray said, the ease of simply pushing a button for heat can't be beat. Best of luck............
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:22 PM   #23
Site Team

Don't camp anywhere there are burn restrictions in effect.

Herb
Old 10-06-2019, 10:12 PM   #24
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Don't camp anywhere there are burn restrictions in effect.

Herb

Probably true. There are times in CA when you can't have a fire unless it has a valve to shut it down and turn off the flame. I've also been in restricted zones where you couldn't even smoke or have a propane fire outside.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:47 PM   #25
Orv

Garage
In Washington state there are sometimes burn bans for air quality reasons, where it's not legal to burn wood even inside a stove.

My van has a propane system, so we have a propane furnace. It's mounted in a compartment at the bottom of the sink cabinet. It takes away a small amount of under-sink storage but not enough that I really miss it. The furnace puts out lots of heat, is clean-burning, and is a lot simpler than a gasoline or diesel fired unit. My only real problem with it is the fan consumes a fair amount of power, and naturally when I use it it's always during cold weather when the battery's capacity is reduced. I'm only running a single marine battery, though, and most newer builds use multiple batteries to get more runtime.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:21 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrull View Post
Is it a bad idea to switch back and forth between kerosene and diesel? Thinking about a situation where one is available but not the other since I have a gas van.

I believe some people who regularly burn diesel will switch to kerosene every once in a while to clean things out, then go back to diesel.
basssears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:24 PM   #27

Garage
A little late to the party, but I just went through the Cubic Mini idea, so maybe some of this info will be useful to future searchers.

You need either 20" on all sides or heat shield and a 1" air gap between it and nearest combustible. Even with the heat shield that is a lot of space for something only used part of the year. You also need 12" of pipe from the highest point of the roof. I had planned to use a removable roof pipe and cap, and I actually had sorted out side clearance/heat shield issues, but then in talking with Cubic Mini directly found out that the minimum amount of flue pipe required is 40" otherwise you won't create enough draft and the stove won't function properly. In that conversation they also said that you actually need 30" of clearance from the top of the stove to the ceiling, which I hadn't seen in any of their FAQ's or anywhere else before. These things killed it for me, especially in an E-Series. They do seem much more popular with the Sprinter/Transit crowd in Canada and Europe.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:31 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt View Post
A little late to the party, but I just went through the Cubic Mini idea, so maybe some of this info will be useful to future searchers.

You need either 20" on all sides or heat shield and a 1" air gap between it and nearest combustible. Even with the heat shield that is a lot of space for something only used part of the year. You also need 12" of pipe from the highest point of the roof. I had planned to use a removable roof pipe and cap, and I actually had sorted out side clearance/heat shield issues, but then in talking with Cubic Mini directly found out that the minimum amount of flue pipe required is 40" otherwise you won't create enough draft and the stove won't function properly. In that conversation they also said that you actually need 30" of clearance from the top of the stove to the ceiling, which I hadn't seen in any of their FAQ's or anywhere else before. These things killed it for me, especially in an E-Series. They do seem much more popular with the Sprinter/Transit crowd in Canada and Europe.
Thanks Drizzt, I've decided to go with a furnace instead. Given that we may use it for a third of the year (if that) it doesn't seem worth it given the foot print it takes up. Hopefully this can give someone else considering this option more information.