Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2011, 05:50 AM   #21

Re: Cupholders and doghouse

I know you are looking for an off the shelf console not a DIY. I did a DIY and left an extra 4 inches of clearance between the console and the passenger seat. That gave enough room to squeeze through without to much yoga being required. So also look for one that has more clearance on the passenger side.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:54 PM   #22

I tried to adapt one from a later van for my 1996 Club Wagon (no console). Ended up not completing it as I am a lazy bugger and it looked like too much work (needed to reprofile the back and then work out a way to fix it to the doghouse). Went to Checkers and bought a Bell 2 position cup holder and fitted it with industrial velcro. Only holds 2 cups but it does not get in the way and it is better looking IMHO than the folding ones.

Like this one

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/1/1...1-05591-8.html
2001 Dakar 650
2000 Dakar 650
TW 200 pit pig.
Ozrockrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:06 PM   #23

Did anybody find a way to replace the entire doghouse with a low profile one? Removing the cup holder/console in my 07 Ford doesn't increase leg and foot room.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:37 PM   #24

There is barely enough room under mine for the 6.0L, much less a layer of Dynamat... I doubt the cover itself can get much smaller.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:44 PM   #25

I just Gumby myself into the seat taking care to not tear off the trailer brake controller. Usually, like Jage, I find it easier to walk around. As tall as I am, removing the cupholder thingy wouldn't help much, and I would really miss all the storage.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:37 PM   #26

Everyone, thanks for the suggestions.

I ended up getting the same cupholder that's on the left of the picture. I called Tously and asked about getting just the hardware (posts) for the doghouse, but they said it only comes "with" the doghouse. So I'm gonna fashion some from bolts washers and what ever else it takes. We'll see how much I've got to trim out of the bottom to make it fit.

I'm also crossing my fingers and hoping I can get an extra layer of sound deadening material in there too, but I keep hearing sardines have more room in their can than the engine compartment of the diesel vans... I want my cake and I'm gonna eat it too!
2001chromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:36 PM   #27

Looks like this thread is getting dated, but i was thinking today about my van, as i have a lot since i spent 5400 miles in it over the last couple of weeks. Before the van, we had a 2002 Honda Odyssey for awhile and one of the things i really loved about it was the foldaway, slide-expanding, 4 cup center console beween the front seats. It was bolted very sturdily to the side of one of the front seats, don't remember which. I think this would be pretty easy to find at any salvage yard since there are more Honda Odysseys around than there are people to drive them. I'm pretty sure the CRV had this as well if i remember right from riding in my brother's a couple of times.
Just a thought, you could do one of the slimmer doghouse consoles like the one on the right of the picture (which has only one cup holder) and have a foldaway on the side of one of the seats for snacktime/camptime, whatever.
Sorry i don't have a link to a picture for this. I'll work on it.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:27 PM   #28

If we're talking alternatives, my F250 has an in dash slide out drink tray. Not sure what all you'd have to salvage one with the workings, but it's another option to look for.