Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2018, 07:08 PM   #1

DYI custom floor Ford E350 mat?

I have an 04 e350 extended (15pass) van.
It has a grey carpet.

I tried to find some mats online, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of options for anything beyond driver/pass seats (which are actually covered)

Since the floor is flat, I can probably do something myself (although I foresee some 'ugly' factor already).
Reason is, when used as 15pass van I expect some muddy/wet shoes (coming out of river)

The floor is about 5feet wide, maybe a little more.. I thought of something like roof material (can probably even get that for close to free in roof places).

I would then cut out the seat mounts and probably keep it there for most of the season.. I don't foresee needing to take it off, but the original floor is probably good enough for insulation/noise reduction value.

Any thoughts or link?

Would upholstery shop make something like that?

Komrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:25 PM   #2

Garage
I used a truck bed mat in the rear and dynapad in the center section
snowgroomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:36 PM   #3

Garage
I'd visit a Carpet store, look at an indoor/outdoor type carpet, or a good stain resistant carpet. Most can cut it to fit your needs, and even bind the edges. I've done several Vehicles & Boats and all turned out great.
If you looking more along the lines of a rubberized floor cover, suggest something along the lines of Plyometric Gym Rubber Floor...lot of other options just need to google it.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:43 PM   #4

Truck Bed liners sounds genius. F350 bed should be 4x8.. would leave one seat to make up for

Any pointers what would fit E350 snuggly and hug the wheel wells?
Old 10-29-2018, 07:51 PM   #5

Garage
If you use carpet of any type; Cut the floor base, then make a template for the wheel wells & cut a separate piece, then have them sewn together using a thin strong fabric underneath as the "hinge" to keep the two piece butted together - just an idea. Suspect they could probably suggest a better solution.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
; Cut the floor base, then make a template for the wheel wells & cut a separate piece, then have them sewn together using a thin strong fabric underneath as the "hinge" to keep the two piece butted together - just an idea. Suspect they could probably suggest a better solution.
I don't want to cut out the existing carpet, but making a cardboard or stronger template sounds like a good idea for DIY. Heck, may even glue something on lauan plywood (and initially use it to create template)

I am looking to put 'rubberized' type of surface on top of carpet for ease of maintenance.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
I'd visit a Carpet store, look at an indoor/outdoor type carpet,
If you want to do it cheaply, that same carpet store probably has a big dumpster out back that holds new carpet scraps, and good condition tear outs. The pieces are too small for them to fool with, but are plenty big enough for the van. When it gets trashed, just install more. If you put down some kind of plastic under it, it will keep everything dry down below. It's not an elegant solution, but it's free.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:10 AM   #8

I use a Soggy Doggy mat at rear and slide door entrances.
krgracia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:14 AM   #9

Garage
Lots of options. I chose to use a plastic/rubber flooring from Lowes. It comes in squares that attach together. I also sewed a cover for my sofa.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:52 AM   #10

That last loncoin-esque diy flooring marret posted looks like a great solution for wet/muddy west coast winter camping thanks for that idea.
glasspack is offline   Reply With Quote