Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2008, 11:04 PM   #1
Sam

Engel Freezer/Fridge

Does anyone have or ever use one of these units? I'm wondering which would be better, a built in refrigerator or an Engel Freezer/Fridge. Any comments?

Sam

Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:36 PM   #2

Well my $.02, although that's worth less and less each day

I had a waeco built in that broke and I'm now using a norcold that is the same as the engels and I prefer the norcold. While mine doesn't have a freezer section which would be nice i think the top opening design is superior to the front opening door... definitely keeps the cool air in better. It also feels much sturdier and better insulated.
jeff@work is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:18 PM   #3

Engel

Peabugs ,
We have two Engels that have served very well for the last three years and I have yet to be disappointed after thirty plus trips into Baja , Mainland and Yucatan Mexico . They are really designed more as a Freezer and the internal workings are similar to the Norcold and Dometic units . having owned all three I would rate the Engel as the best made and most useful if for no other reason than it's portability .We have the MT17 F and the MT80F They are more useful as freezer's as access is thru the top , we have and occasionally still use as short trip refers . Try contacting the boy's at Expedition Exchange as they are very honest and knowledgable on this brand .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:19 AM   #4

Before we bought our Sportsmobile, we considered doing our own home made conversion on an all window Ford cargo van. I saw one of these units in a campers van and it looked to be very high quality. oclv

http://www.fridgefreeze.com/
oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:57 AM   #5
Sam

Thanks for the information! I thought that sometime along those lines would be better than a fridge. The fact that it is portable, is a big plus in my mind. Greggde, you mentioned that the Engels worked more as a freezer than a fridge but would it work fine as a fridge? Another-words, if I put juice & milk in it, would it freeze it instead of keeping it cold?

Jeff, thanks again for the $.02 worth or there abouts. Greggde, thanks for the product testing info & OCLV, thanks for the website info on the other freezer/fridge! I figured I could get some good information from this group.

Sam
Old 04-22-2008, 10:53 AM   #6

Engel

They can be used effectively as refrigerators as well , we use them on the boats and for the shorter trips and occasionally for parties .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:34 PM   #7
Sam

Thanks Greggde! I'll have to see if I can find someone back east here that stocks them, see what they look like as well as the different sizes they make.

Sam
Old 04-25-2008, 02:54 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon
Engel

I have a 64 quart Engel that has been back and forth to Baja (same beach as Scatter) about a million times and just got back from a trip to Death Valley. It works perfectly after probably 15 years. Having said that, I think that if I replaced it or augmented it with another, I'd probably get a National Luna next time as it has a Danfoss compressor which I consider to be superior to the swing-motor in the Engle/ARB/Norcold (like I have now). Of course the NL is also about twice as much money!