Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: What is your Espar/Airtornic diesel furnace situation ?
I run diesel with NO additives and have had NO furnace problems 7 38.89%
I run diesel with NO additives and have had furnace problems 4 22.22%
I run diesel with additives and have had NO furnace problems 4 22.22%
I run diesel with additives and have had furnace problems 3 16.67%
I run biodiesel and have had NO furnace problems 0 0%
I run biodiesel and have had furnace problems 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2009, 07:01 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Espar Airtronic Furnace situations

I have been thinking about all the Espar furnace discussions and difficulties.

Like many other things, some folks are having problems and others are having no problems.

I am hoping maybe we can see if there are any clues....

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:31 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Anyone?
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:32 AM   #3

I think the Espar furnace on my SMB is the best and most used option it has...This of course will change when it warms up and I'll be psyched on the fridge, 4D batteries and solar panel...When I first bought the van I topped off with B100...I didn't think about what it would do to the Espar heater so I didn't turn it on until I was sure that the Biodiesel was diluted enough with Dino-diesel...I posted this topic a while back and I think somebody told me you could run up to B20 in it with no problem...But I'd verify this before I tried anything..
Old 01-15-2009, 02:18 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage
I would like those who use additives to post which brand they use as well as whether or not they run bio diesel and this would be a good thread to do so.

After reading advevtureduos post about their -17 degree trip, I thought about what would happen if I was using an additive to keep the diesel from waxing. What would that do to my Espar units? What would happen if I didn't use it?

I also would like to run something that keeps my injectors in good shape. I don't run anything in the fuel because espar says not to. I wonder if they are full of it. Many companies make claims that certain products will harm theirs because they can turn down warrantee issues. I just want to know so I can avoid problems down the road.
Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:44 PM   #5
Site Team

Dave,

Let me preface this by stating that I do NOT have an Espar, or any other auxilliary heater, but I do use a diesel additive, so I have some info to share.

I use Stanadyne Performance Formula, pretty much on every fill-up of my SMB and my '05 VW Passat diesel. Does it help? Do vitamins help? No empirical evidence on my part for either, but I do both.

I went with Stanadyne, which I cannot find locally unfortunately, because of a lot of reading I did on TheDieselStop, because Standayne is actually a manufacturer of injectors and fuel injection pumps. GM also approved it for thier diesels in 2003, VW approved it for use in cold weather, and I recall seeing that Ford approved it's use in the 7.3L diesel, but I can't find that to verifiy it (and I never did see a similar approval for the 6.0L and 6.4L).

http://www.stanadyne.com/view.php?id=45

Here's where I order mine from:
http://www.mwfi.com/Fuel-Additives/perf ... _form.html

Herb
Old 01-15-2009, 03:46 PM   #6

Garage
I'm having a very hard time believing that an additive will harm the operation of the espar. Adding a pint or even a quart of additive to a 46 gallon tank is a very diluted mix. And, if the additive is supposed to keep injectors and combustion areas cleaner, and be flammable (I imagine it must be), then wouldn't that actually keep the heater cleaner as well? The engine and the heater are both diesel burners, after all.

I believe Espar employs too many bored lawyers.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:18 PM   #7

I'm adding Amsoil additives, the Cetane Boost Diesel Fuel Additive and the Diesel Fuel Additive Concentrate. I add the suggested amount. And yes, my Espar has been lots of trouble lately, and I am not really happy with the service I have had with ThermoKingNW in Kent.

Brian
Old 01-15-2009, 09:22 PM   #8

I've been using Diesel Kleen in the white and silver bottles since day one. No issues with it and the Espar in over 60k miles.

I actually have my Espar running for over 48 hours straight, too. Leaving it on keeps the temperature from fluctuating too much. It's just a gentle amount of heat at a low fan rate right now. I can barely hear it running.
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:04 AM   #9

Re: Espar Airtronic Furnace situations

I use the same stuff as Bronco_Hauler above. Standyne Performance and I also saw its comments on TheDieselStop website.

I cannot find it locally either so I order it and put it in on virtually every fill up. I am in cold temps pretty regularly and did have an issue once with the diesel fuel thickening. I've been in some pretty cold temps since I started using it and haven't had a problem since. Was in 14 degree weather this weekend and didn't have a single prob with the heater (the frozen water lines due to my stupidity of not draining is another issue for another thread) Duh.
DUKCSUN is offline   Reply With Quote