Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2017, 11:04 PM   #1

Espar B4 Fuel Plumbing Suggestions

So i have a B4 on the way and am hemming and hawing on how best to plumb in the fuel line. I have a custom steel tank from Aero with the stock Sending Unit. While researching my sending unit I see that there is an alternate unit with an auxiliary tap on it. I then saw someone plumb to that on a Transit. I would have to buy another fuel pump.

So I could drain and clean out the tank and drill a hole for the Espar pickup tube. Easy enough I guess save for a lot of hassle cleaning it out. I also thought about drilling the top of the sending unit and dropping the pickup down through there. Seems like that could work if there is space on top and I can get the tube down to the base. It's a plastic top though and I have some concern about cracking it with the pressure from the pickup tube gasket.

Or get a QD fitting, new fuel pump, and do it that way. Easiest but cost $$ for the new unit. Certainly not opposed to that though and then I have a new unit and install would be pretty fast and painless.

Anyone plumb one of these in and how did it go?? Dropping the tank is a decent undertaking so I gotta think it through.

And yes, a B4. Wife get's cold and that does not make for fun van times so I went with the bigger unit.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:28 AM   #2

You could go the simple route, at least at first, and plumb it into a Rotopax or similar tank somewhere like the back bumper. If I'm not mistaken that's what Glider is about to do on her gas van with a diesel furnace and I'm about to do the same on mine, but the Planar furnace I bought came with it's own fuel cell so it's a bit easier.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:51 AM   #3

That did cross my mind a bunch and before I decided on gas fired furnace I was considering a D2. I know Espar has a fuel cell with a fitting built into the bottom corner. I just figured since I have come this far, might as well go the full route with a single fuel for both engine and heater and get it plumbed to the main tank.

But the prices on the D2's make it very attractive to have a second fuel on board.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:14 AM   #4

I drilled the hole through the sending unit's top, ya know that part that unbolts from the fuel tank.
It eliminated having to drain and clean the tank, made life much simpler and works flawlessly.
This was for my Espar D4...
I'll try to find pictures, but no promises.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso View Post
I drilled the hole through the sending unit's top, ya know that part that unbolts from the fuel tank.
It eliminated having to drain and clean the tank, made life much simpler and works flawlessly.
This was for my Espar D4...
I'll try to find pictures, but no promises.

No worries on the pics. Just trying to gauge what others have done. Did your sending unit have a metal top??

Sending unit sounds good as I don't have to worry about metal shavings in the tank nor do I have to clean it out. Probably just need to let it sit a couple days until the fuel evaporates.

Did you put any sealant on it?? Or is the rubber gasket enough?
Old 04-25-2017, 11:55 AM   #6

If your van wasn't so new I'd say replace the fuel pump while you are in there, but being a 2013 it's probably a waste of money. They supposedly go a LONG time, except of course the ones I happen to own.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 01:07 PM   #7

I drilled a 25mm hole, used the supplied equipment and haven't looked back. No need for sealants or extras...
Old 04-25-2017, 01:39 PM   #8

I just searched through 5k + pictures and can't find it, sorry
Old 04-25-2017, 02:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso View Post
I just searched through 5k + pictures and can't find it, sorry

Thanks much. I will work it out for sure. It's nice to have the support of this forum for things that are a little foreign to me and there just isn't that much info out there.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:53 PM   #10

Flux - Check with Jake first and see if he put in an auxiliary fuel feed. I had him put two on our diesel tank. I thought I remember him saying he usually put at least one on his tanks, but the gasoline version might be different.

IF you have to install something, I would recommend using the Espar fuel pick up since the tube I.D. is matched with the Espar fuel pump. Just make sure the pickup tube goes pretty close to the bottom of the tank.... it is crazy to leave 1/4 of a tank of fuel and freeze!!

If you are drilling the top of the tank, you can remove the sending unit, and drill the hole in a spot where you can reach in and catch the last of the shavings with a rag.

oh, and the B4 puts out nearly twice the heat of the D2, it is the equivalent of the diesel fired D4. You will like the extra heat of the B4 at lower fan speeds and amp draw