Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2018, 08:30 AM   #1

Espar D2 question

I have a diesel van and have the SMB installed D5 and D2 (I think). I have no water in my system due to winter time but just asking if I can run the D2 to pre-heat the engine with no water in the 'hot' water line. I think I will be OK but just thought I would ask as I am going on a road trip and won't be able to plug in my electric block heater.

Thanks!
Bob

Old 01-09-2018, 09:35 AM   #2

Bob, the Espar D2 has no water heating capability and thus will not be able to provide block heating. It is an air to air heating system used to heat cabin air. It uses a fan to move the air. (I can imagine a setup involving passing hot air over a air to water heat exchanger but this would be highly unusual in a SMB. With a D5 as part of the system it would be redundant)

The D5 has a chamber in which water is heated and a pump or pumps that will move the water (normally engine coolant). A flat plate heat exchanger is normally used to provide domestic water heating for your sink / shower. The flat plate keeps the coolant and domestic water separated. I do not have a D5 but am pretty sure winterizing normally involves draining the domestic water out of the system but leaving the coolant able to flow through the D5 and the coolant side of the flat plate.

That is a typical layout, but there are variations, so I would need more info on exactly how your setup is installed to say if you can run the D5 as a stand alone block heater with the Domestic water loop closed/drained. There may be valves which need to be set to alow just the coolant from the engine block to flow through the D5.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:41 PM   #3

Garage
I think 1der is correct.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:54 PM   #4

Yes but it is a D2 according to Thermo King but what do they know? The D5 is the big one inside the cabin and works fine now heating up the inside of the van nice and toasty. The D2 should be heating the engine coolant which gets pumped into the heat exchanger or I guess flat plate which then heats up the water. As there is no water in the system now, I did not want to eff up my flat plate because of that. Unsure if it is OK to do that or not.

Ray, thanks for the PM and I sent you some clarification as in this response.

Bob