Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2014, 04:00 PM   #1

Espar D2 w/ auxiliary diesel tank into a ford gasser

We just bought a 2007 E350 SMB. It's a great rig but has no heat. Since we like to play in the snow and will be driving to alaska next spring we need heat. In our prior van we had a airtronic d2 and loved it and would prefer to avoid propane. Didn't like the propane performance and constant on/off overnight to try and maintain the temps inside. We considered gas model of espar but couldn't find many folks willing to use use gas as a fuel source for heater.

Anyways, our van is a gas model. In researching the idea of using a diesel heater a lot of marine applications and some truck forums. Anyone have any experience doing this? I am thinking of using a 3-5 gallon tank and filling when we plan on being out in cold temps. I am thinking of installing the espar unit under the sink area and maybe putting the tank in the back.

Thoughts or experience welcome.

Ben

Skyhighsportsmobiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:14 PM   #2

Re: Espar D2 w/ auxiliary diesel tank into a ford gasser

I don't know for sure but I think diesel heaters are a lot more expensive than propane, or anything else. Have you considered a propane furnace without a plumbed tank? Several people, including me, have done that. You can use a portable propane tank or even 1 lb. cylinders instead and not carry any when it's not cold.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:10 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

It's been discussed and don't see an issue if you really want an Espar. Kimberley makes an Aussie portable under the same concept.
http://www.camp4ever.com/portable-air-heater
I think if you were to follow Espar's installation and install a 5 or 10 gallon tank it could be done.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:55 AM   #4

if you have a gasser then buy the B1LC. Its the same output as the D2 only its gas not diesel. They are more money but would be less hassle than trying to mount a second tank on a vehicle that has no room.

Greg
LanduytG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:19 PM   #5

Ben,

This was recently discussed in this thread: anybody no propane all electric GAS engine

WVvan installed a diesel Webasto in a gas van, with a dedicated diesel/kerosene tank - tonnes of info in his build thread: Hal The Van

Cheers,
Brent
Old 05-07-2014, 03:23 PM   #6

Forgot to add that I have a gas-powered Airtronic 5 in my Ford V10. Expensive but worth it for our needs. We wanted a simple rig with no propane and no added complexity, so a single fuel source for the van and heater were worth it to us.

Cheers,
Brent
Old 05-07-2014, 04:18 PM   #7

Brent,

I would prefer to keep is simple. I've been getting the impression when I contact installers about the b1lc that there is real hesitation to use gas as the fuel. Understandably, but is it really that much more dangerous if you get a tears piece of equipment like an espar that is professionally mounted? Have there been a lot of accidents or near misses with gas? How long have you had yours? Where is yours mounted? Did you get the high altitude kit?

We had a diesel d2 in a prior rig and know that it did a nice job keeping us toasty warm even on cold nights skiing in the north cascades.

Thanks

Ben
Skyhighsportsmobiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhighsportsmobiler
Have there been a lot of accidents or near misses with gas?
I've never heard of any accidents.

Quote:
How long have you had yours?
We've had ours since July 2009. No problems in 5 years.

Quote:
Where is yours mounted?
Rear passenger side, behind our EB50 couch, just rear of the wheel well. I posted some pics in the other thread I linked to, here.

Quote:
Did you get the high altitude kit?
No, we did not. Most of our ski areas in BC are not that high, with bases in the 4000' to 5000' range. Whistler village is only at 2200'. Like I said, we haven't had any issues in 5 winters of use.

Cheers,
Brent
Old 05-13-2014, 01:09 PM   #9

Anyone that thinks the gas version is more dangerous is dead wrong. The heater is the very same other than programming and fuel atomizing screen. Same safeties in both. The biggest thing is people just do not understand them.

Greg
LanduytG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:34 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage

Well gasoline is more dangerous than diesel; its just a fact, but propane can be worse yet and it's a main fuel used in RV's. We drive around with gas tanks in the majority of vehicles and never think twice about it. But if the Gas version Espar was any more dangerous than the diesel I doubt they would be available in the US.
Maybe there is some certification or engineering requirement that SMB needs to qualify to be able to install the gas versions of the Espar. Could even possibly be something to do with their insurance...I just don't know. But if I had a gas engine and could find a qualified installer that does the gas version Espar, I would go for it. Having heat is a great option.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote