Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2017, 07:46 AM   #1

Espar D5 Hydronic issues

I cannot get my Espar to fire up. I believe the van had been sitting when I bought it for some time and the last owners never used the furnace or water heater. I turn the system switch on, furnace switch, then the thermostat to the temperature and the coolant pump runs, the fan will run but the furnace will not fire up. I checked for fault codes on the other Espar control but none show up? Any ideas?

Old 10-01-2017, 08:12 AM   #2

Have a full tank of diesel, pulled the fuses and checked them as well.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:34 AM   #3
Site Team

Garage
Can you hear the fuel pump clicking? If they have let it sit for a long time it may have some trouble picking up the prime. It has always thrown a code on mine but it's not a D-5.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:47 AM   #4

Cannot hear the fuel pump clicking.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:45 AM   #5

I went out and dug around and found a broken wire on the pigtail to the unit. I fixed that and it started up but smoked crazy. So I pulled the filter at the fuel pump and cleaned it with brake cleaner and fired it back up. Ran it for about 20 min and it is not smoking anymore!! Thanks Ray and Dave for your help this morning, will keep my fingers crossed this will run smooth here forward!
Old 10-01-2017, 01:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellpilot View Post
I went out and dug around and found a broken wire on the pigtail to the unit. I fixed that and it started up but smoked crazy. So I pulled the filter at the fuel pump and cleaned it with brake cleaner and fired it back up. Ran it for about 20 min and it is not smoking anymore!! Thanks Ray and Dave for your help this morning, will keep my fingers crossed this will run smooth here forward!
I wonder if it was smoking because prevous start attempts injected fuel, but your broken wire prevented ignition? When it finally started, it had to burn off all that excess fuel. Anyway, it sounds like it's fixed just in time for winter, hurry up snow...................
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:29 PM   #7

Well the pump was not working so likely not any fuel got in. I think it had not been ran for some time and when I disconnected the fuel line to the pump the fuel that dripped out looked bad!!! Once it ran through the fuel in the line it cleaned right up.
I had a Wabasto in my last van it was just a furnace and was hot, wondering in cold weather if the hydronic will keep up?
Old 10-02-2017, 11:20 AM   #8
Site Team

Garage
I try to run both the cab heater and water heater on a monthly basis but in summer I don't run the heater until the weather cools off. This year I haven't had a chance to get out much so I just went out to test mine and get some good fuel in the system. I just run the heater on full for about 15 minutes and do the same before I shut it down. It's worked for me. I don't know about others, but my system has worked better since I started using fuel additives, YMMV.

I don't know much about the D5 heating system. I've got a D4 Airtronic and I've slept in 10 degree weather with the top up (while bunking in the PH) and was fine.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote