Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #1

FANTASTIC FAN

Planning to buy and install a fantastic fan on my E-250 roof. (no penthouse top). It will have to be placed so the vent lid will be able to be fully opened with my kayak and Thule box on the roof. I was wondering if anyone on the forum has done this before and how good a seal it was (ie no leaks).

Also, what model did you choose. There are several models and I want one that will really circulate the air. The only a/c I will have is from the front vents. I know they are 3 speed with a reverse to suck air into the van.

Any info appreciated.

jjtwister

Toyo AT 2's 285/R75-16's
1959 Chevy Apache Hot Rod
jjtwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #2

Re: FANTASTIC FAN

I have had two. They both sealed fine. My first was a basic 3 speed unit and the second one I got several years later was a 6600R I think (24 speeds, remote, rain sensor and uses much less power then the 3 speed, costs $$ then the 3 speed). I had both installed on my van prior to the penthouse. When I got the penthouse gave the 3 spd to my niece for her pop-up, she LOVES it. At max speed they all move the same amount of air.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #3

There's a good video on YouTube by CycleVan of NJ that shows an install of a Fantastic Fan. I don't have the link handy, but a quick YouTube search should turn it up.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #4

Garage

The 24-speed uses a LOT less power on high speed. Like half as much. It uses a more efficient motor and controller. We got that one to conserve batteries on long summer campouts.

The only thing we've noticed is the fan makes a somewhat annoying hum on the lower speeds(probably due to the PWM speed control). We haven't used it in full-on heat yet.